VOGONS

First post, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I pulled out an old AudioPCI 3000 I had, remembering it had a (pretty awful) MT-32 emulation mode and was hoping to kick it around a bit.

However, none of the drivers I've downloaded seem to have that feature. They support MPU, Soundscape, and Soundblaster/Adlib emulation but the MT-32 bit I distinctly remember can't be found or heard?

Not sure if that was a fever dream or if I'm just doing something wrong...

Reply 2 of 4, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just FYI (although you seem to have an idea already!) - MT-32 emulation refers to the basic 128 instruments, so any game that uses custom instruments or a different bank order (i.e., almost all games composed for the MT-32) will not playback correctly with this.

Reply 3 of 4, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keenerb wrote on 2022-05-19, 20:31:

Ah there's a DOS utility, mt32.exe that toggles it.

I forgot how MISERABLE the OPL support is on this card, holy cow.

Oh yes, the OPL emulation is legendary. You should have seen me when I "upgraded" from SoundBlaster Pro to Soundblaster PCI (that is basically an Ensomiq Audio PCI) back in the days. I started my favourite DOS game Doom II to see how it works for DOS - and I couldn't trust my ears .. I'll never forget that moment.
But to be fair, it was quite a nice Windows 9X card and it's software wavetable was fine.

Reply 4 of 4, by Sly_Botts

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Ensonique AudioPCI 1370 for sure has decent mt32 emulation but general midi sounds better on the newer DOS games. The older ones like Monkey Island sound good. Some Don't work though. The vivo OPUS or original s2000 are better for mt32 emulation. Fm synth emulation is garbage.

It is possible to commit no errors and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life.