VOGONS

AdLib GOLD clone is now a reality

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 199, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why not use solder paste with a stencil? That should cut down on most of the SMD soldering element. If you want to scale up production further, something like the Lumen PnP can do the component placement - I've been following that project for ages but have nothing I'm making that would benefit 😀
I use the TS100 about the same way but I'm not good at soldering SMD stuff by hand, always too much or too little solder.

Reply 61 of 199, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have created the GOLDLIB page here and entered ordering info: http://pcmidi.eu/goldlib.html
Anyone interested should check it out, hope you don't get bored by the wall of text 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 62 of 199, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote on 2022-10-19, 15:09:

I have created the GOLDLIB page here and entered ordering info: http://pcmidi.eu/goldlib.html
Anyone interested should check it out, hope you don't get bored by the wall of text 😀

Sweet! Definitely psyched for this card, so looking forward to it! 😁

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 63 of 199, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice! 😀 I asked this before, but I don't think I got a reply. Are there any plans to sell the surround module separately? I've got an original Adlib Gold that could really use one.

Reply 65 of 199, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Lennart wrote on 2022-10-19, 15:45:

Very nice! 😀 I asked this before, but I don't think I got a reply. Are there any plans to sell the surround module separately? I've got an original Adlib Gold that could really use one.

I am sure we can arrange that 😀

also everyone, thanks for the support! 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 66 of 199, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2022-10-19, 18:09:

I am sure we can arrange that 😀

Awesome! 😀 I just filled out the form and added a note that I'm interested in the surround module only.

Reply 67 of 199, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I still have to check though if I have enough yamaha surround chips - it was a PITA to get these and be actual real working ones...

Reply 68 of 199, by moturimi1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2022-10-19, 20:18:

I still have to check though if I have enough yamaha surround chips - it was a PITA to get these and be actual real working ones...

Best retro sound project ever!
..do you mean that there it a problem with fake chips from China?

Reply 69 of 199, by jskyboo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2022-10-19, 20:18:

I too am also interested in only the surround module, should I go ahead and fill out the form and leave that as a note?

Reply 72 of 199, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

on a sidenote I can offer no more extra surround modules atm
I just don't have spares , the yamaha surround chips are just enough for the goldlibs planned
I will investigate if the chips source has more of them and if there are I will offer individual modules when I get them

all testing is done on a 386DX40 system - I would assume a 486DX33/40 would also be good *depending on the actual system* but I would not go higher
if the MMA chip crashes it's timers because of system speed then nothing will work on the gold

Reply 73 of 199, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about the MIDI cable? Is a special "Adlib" MIDI cable needed for the Joystick port? Because I've seen videos reporting problems with a typical Joystick-Midi cable.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 74 of 199, by JimWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GL1zdA wrote on 2022-10-20, 09:30:

What about the MIDI cable? Is a special "Adlib" MIDI cable needed for the Joystick port? Because I've seen videos reporting problems with a typical Joystick-Midi cable.

Yes, a special „AdLib“ MIDI cable is needed. It’s the very same implementation as the original card.
But the pinout of that cable is still a mystery. We didn’t investigate it. So if someone got an original AdLib Midi cable, please get in touch with us.

Reply 75 of 199, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2022-10-19, 15:09:

How long should it take between submitting the form and getting a confirmation?

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 76 of 199, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GL1zdA wrote on 2022-10-20, 09:30:

goldlib is EXACTLY the same as the original, so the same problems will exist
if we had an original midi cable we could clone it as well but I have not even seen pictures of it...
it is not a big loss anyways IMHO as the interface is not a "proper" MPU-401 one and need specific adlib gold support from programs *AFAIK* (well at least this is state in the manual)

also I reply emails in the evening because I packets need to be made on working hours 😀
it's just the first days like this when the initial rush happens

Reply 78 of 199, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there is no thoughts to release blank pcbs... the cpld needs programming, the rare chips need sourcing and finally the end card could need some troubleshooting because it uses old chips
it's just not feasible to offer this as a kit/project even with the rare chips bundled