VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been reading that there is a problem getting Redbook audio from CD images working with VxD drivers on Windows 98, but it seems to work just fine for me. I am using a bog standard install of Windows 98 with an Audigy 2 ZS using VxD drivers and I have CD music when I play Incoming. It also works fine with WDM drivers.

From Phil's Computer Lab:

To get CD Audio music with BIN/CUE image games, your sound card needs to use WDM drivers. VXD drivers will not work unfortunately. WDM drivers are more stable, but can perform slower (measurable in benchmarks) and cause issues with 3D Audio acceleration.

Reply 1 of 2, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Um, unlike an AWE64 etc, the Audigy 2 wasn't a typical Win9x era card, I assume.
It was from ~2002, roughly 4 years before 9x line was retired altogether.
At this time, the drivers were likely mature enough to support most features.

The WDM things perhaps has to do with the kernal-mode stuff (kmixer etc) in part.
WDM drivers can do mixing, full-duplex operations (recording+playback) etc.
Anyway, I'm not saying these things are impossible with VXDs. Maybe just more complicated to implement.
But Creative perhaps had nothing else to do, except buying their remaining competitors each after sueing them into ground,
so they maybe succeeded making things work. 😉
They also made OpenAL (with another company) and some wrappers, if memory serves.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hard … udio-components

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 2, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had no problem getting CD audio working with my Aureal Vortex 2. Maybe the WDM issue is limited to ISA or older VxD drivers? I haven't done extensive testing on this, but I've read in many threads here about people suggesting that you need to use WDM drivers for this purpose.

There were also some recommendations to use a separate WDM card for CD audio, in addition to another card that uses VxD drivers. I found this to be a poor solution, because for WINMM to use the WDM driver for CD audio, this device must be selected as the primary output. But when you do this, you must then choose exclusively to use either a VxD device or a WDM device; they cannot both be used at the same time. This is a problem when you want to use, for example, a VxD-enabled Aureal card for A3D or a Creative card for EAX.

The only real truth I found from the research I've done is that the digital audio mixing, instead of analog mixing, are indeed restricted to WDM drivers. There may be some value to this, but I wasn't able to find a use case for comparison. I'm not an audiophile and probably wouldn't be able to find a difference if I were to try and look for it on me own always. I would welcome any recommendations on what this feature is used for and how it can affect audio quality.