VOGONS

First post, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so i finally finish my retro pc build only to find i have no sound when trying to play back cdrom audio. my dvd burner has both digital and analog output pins and i've attached a cable to the mpc port on my awe64 gold. i've checked my mixer settings to make sure cd-in is not muted, but there is no sound other than midi & sound effects.

this lg 22x model is the absolute highest quality burner & reader i have ever owned--not even the previous benq title-holders can touch it. i hate to lose it, but since i don't think i'm doing anything wrong i'm going to assume that the audio pins aren't hooked up to anything (unless someone specifically contradicts me here).

i really don't want to compromise on quality with another brand. seriously, even the benq dw1655, which was touted as one of the best ever, is not even an ok burner when stacked up against the GH22LP20.

does anyone know of any late model lg burners with confirmed working cd audio?

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some drives have the connector but don't actually have anything come out. Usually "reserved" is written somewhere. As far any possible replacement, I have no input on that.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 4, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

well i relented and pulled out my inferior benq dw1655 from storage only to find that the analog pins were entirely omitted from the connector enclosure. i've got more of a problem on my hands than i thought. out of 6 ide dvd burners none are compatible for cdrom audio.

Reply 4 of 4, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i settled on an nec nd-3540a 16x dvd burner. it has a similar wopc disc tilt technology comparable to the benq drives. the tray eject sticks badly (have to grab it quickly with fingernails), but the cdrom audio is serviceable.