VOGONS

First post, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, all

After some excessive lurking on Wayback Machine I've learned about the existence of a few patchsets for GUS cards and ICS Wavefront (Tropez/Maui) cards. However, I've been unable to track down the actual files so far. I'm posting detailed information hoping someone has the files or can help me with some pointers.

For Turtle Beach it seems there was a John Cafarella's GM set on University of Hawaii's FTP (at ftp.hawaii.edu/outgoing/Maui/patches — unfortunately, it's not archived and I wasn't able to find a full mirror). Files are:

jc_gm1.zip
jc_gm2.zip
jc_gm3.zip
jc_gm4.zip
jc_gm5.zip
jc_gm.doc

This patchset should come in a form of 20 WFP patches and a WFS file (should be a patchset ini file, supported by patchmanager and SetWF), here are the names of the patches:

SOLOGRND.WFP,p0     From a Gravis Ultrasound patch
BRIGHTPI.WFP,p1 From Hawaii.edu
EPIANO2.WFP,p5 From a Gravis Ultrasound patch
SOFTORG.WFP,p17 From the Beachcomber
ROCKORG.WFP,p18 Rom sample, altered to get rid of excess tremolo
RUTHTAKA.WFP,p25 Sampled by me. Not the same as on ftp.hawaii.edu
DREAMGTR.WFP,p27 From a Gravis Ultrasound patch
DISTGTR.WFP,p29 From a Gravis Ultrasound patch
GRUNGE.WFP,p30 Can't remember !
TREM.WFP,p44 Rom sample, altered balance/level
TIMPANI2.WFP,p47 From a Gravis Ultrasound patch
ENS1.WFP,p48 Rom sample, altered balance/level
ENS2.WFP,p49 Rom sample, altered balance/level
SNYSTR1.WFP,p50 Rom sample, altered balance/level
SYNSTR2.WFP,p51 Rom sample, altered balance/level
BRITBRAS.WFP,p61 Can't remember
PAD1.WFP,p88 Rom sample, fixed detune problem
FX1.WFP,p96 Rom sample, fixed detune problem
FX2.WFP,p97 Rom sample, fixed detune problem
BALLAD.WFD,p128 Sampled by me off Alesis D4

The other is Da Red Ear's patch. This one doesn't look to be GM, but might still be useful. It was distributed as a multi-volume archive on ftp.pinknet.cz with the following filenames:

WFPFILE1.ZIP
WFPFILE2.ZIP
WFPFILE3.ZIP
WFPFILE4.ZIP
WFPFILE5.ZIP
WFPFILE6.ZIP

There are also names of the individual WFP files on the patch homepages.

For GUS — I've found mentions of guspro, guspro2, Megabank by Kevin Boye (essentially the predecessor to the Utopia soundbank) and Pilabank.

I've found guspro on Oldskool's FTP, but not guspro2. If it's anything like the original guspro, it's not collection of just patches, but other addons to the ultradir as well. There is a mention of guspro2a.zip, which seems to be a conversion of pat files into Interwave format. There is a possibility that it's ProPatches 2, but it's small (ProPatches is bigger than 8MB and not really a patchset, just a collection of individual instrument patches, not meant for GM playback due to size of some samples).

Megabank 1.3 had the following filenames (source):

megadrum.exe - Megabank Ver 1.3 patches
megadrum.r00
megadrum.r01
megadrum.r02
megadrum.r03
megainst.exe
megainst.r00
megainst.r01
megainst.r02
megainst.r03
megainst.r04
megainst.r05
megainst.r06
megainst.r07
megainst.r08

Apparently Utopia authors pulled the soundbank from every FTP after they started working on, well, Utopia.

Pilabank was made by Pawel Pila and was hosted by Utopia team here. I haven't been able to find the filenames.

Before anybody mentions — I did try to contact authors of almost every soundbank on the list.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog