VOGONS

First post, by realbadpainting

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently built myself a new Win98 system and was intending to also use it for a few DOS games, like Duke Nukem 3D. Here are the system specs:

Gigabyte 7VRX (rev. 2.0) (Socket A - VIA KT333/8233A chipset)
Athlon Thunderbird 1400
512MB DDR
ASUS GeForce2 Ti
SB Audigy Gold
Windows 98 SE

I am able to get sound working under Windows. However when I install the DOS Drivers, I get an error reported on boot up:

Error: Config file is incomplete.
SBPort
Creative SB16 Emulation Driver NOT Loading.

I understand that some chipsets simply do not support audio emulation for DOS, is this the case with my motherboard? Or is there some workaround? I do not see anything in the BIOS to reserve an IRQ, only to set the priority. My Audigy is in Slot 5, so I set "Slot 1/5 IRQ Priority" to 5 in the BIOS. Didn't help!

And if there is no possible way to make this happen, is there a PCI sound card out there I can find that will work with my setup under both Windows and DOS?

Reply 1 of 1, by crazii

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK for PCI sound in DOS you need a mobo that has SB-Link (PCPCI) header or support DDMA/DSMA/TDMA. Some VIA chipset support DDMA as I recall.
Yamaha YMF7x4, ESS Solo-1 (ES1938s), both was tested OK by me, with a i815 mobo and a SB-Link cable.

FYI:
PCI sound cards and Chipsets from various manufacturers...
DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets by Kamerat: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cvhr6 … K4l0/edit#gid=0
You can search the forum to find more information about PCPCI or DDMA.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 4300 - YMF744, Savage IX
Toshiba Satellite 2805-S501 - YMF754, GeForce 2Go
IBM Thinkpad A21p - CS4624, Mobility Radeon 128
main: Intel NUC11PHKi7C Phantom Canyon: i7-1165G7 RTX2060 64G 2T760PSDD