VOGONS

First post, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've got a 486-project on-going and I decided to post this question as a separate thread in the event its a known issue or misconfiguration.

The card in question is SoundBlaster 32 (CT3670).
The symptoms as I observe them are:

- Card resources are successfully set during boot and the card is working, until the system has sat unused (as in no audio playback)
- If I start a game after the card has disappeared, no sound card will be found and running DIAGNOSE.EXE will report that the resources for the card cannot be set.
- If the card is working and I leave a game to sit in a quiet spot (for example, there are portions of Monkey Island when no audio is present), sometimes resuming playback the FM synthesis sounds really weird - it is completely tonally off. After exiting the game and restarting I only get PC-speaker.
- Seems intermittent, but so far has not occurred mid-operation. The card only goes missing or starts acting up if it's not being utilized for some period of time.

After the card is probed once or twice, as I run DIAGNOSE.EXE again, the card resources are re-established and it starts working again.

The most recent change to the system that I made was that I connected a AAA-battery compartment to the external battery header on the motherboard:

cmosbattery_removal.jpeg
Filename
cmosbattery_removal.jpeg
File size
43.39 KiB
Views
File comment
MSI MS-4132G external battery header
File license
Public domain

I can't say for certain if the problem was present before I did this, but I am fairly certain it was not. The system now keeps time and CMOS settings between reboots and being disconnected from the wall outlet.

Prior to adding the external battery, I also added a 3Com Etherlink III ISA 3C509B-TPO.

The sound card does appear properly inserted all the way and the slot was not changed when the battery compartment or ethernet card was connected.

Could there be a BIOS setting that the card does not like - or a conflict with another ISA device? Or is this likely to just be really old hardware acting up and I just need to unseat and reseat the card(s)?

Could the external battery be screwing with the motherboard function in some way?

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.

Reply 1 of 4, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Almost sounds like a resource conflict. Something that is not triggering very often, conflicts with sound card resources and "kills" it.
But what could it be... Can't suggest anything. Take out all other cards that you necessarily don't need, like NIC for example. Does the issue persist?
Set sound card's all parameters to something else. Change every resource config. Does the issue persist?

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 2 of 4, by leonardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I might be a dumb- err.. I might be dumb. I even posted that the sound card completely stopped working when I plugged in the 3Com in my original thread.

However after configuring the resources for the 3Com using their PnP utility the sound card came back, so I assumed it was fine.
This is clearly worth investigating more...

[Install Win95 like you were born in 1985!] on systems like this or this.