VOGONS

First post, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi can both be plugged in at the same time? Like Daughterboard Plugged into the wavetableheader and MT32 connected via Gameport? Or is it one or the other?
If it works how do i get the IRQ DMA working so the game knows what is what? Thanks alot.

Reply 1 of 12, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Typically they'll both play together, and you'll have to control which one you hear via mixer.

The Orpheus and AFAIK the new MK8330 allow dual MPU addressing, so you can send MIDI to the desired output: MK8330 : new soundcard based on the CMI 8330 chipset

I'm not sure if any vintage cards offered this.

Reply 2 of 12, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yes, but they'll be playing at the same time too, so you'll have to mute the onboard wavetable.

see: Wavetable DB and MPU-401 -both playing at the same time -how to mute the Wavetable DB only- ...possible?

Pierre32 wrote on 2022-07-10, 03:48:

I'm not sure if any vintage cards offered this.

the Terratec Maestro 32/96 and EWS64 does iirc.
though with some limitations.

Reply 4 of 12, by underthebridge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There’s no real way I know of to ‘select’ between daughterboard midi and MPU-401 output via gameport, as the midi signal is output simultaneously.
If you have an mt-32 you should have an intelligent mode mpu-401 (like the pcmidi mpu which is a musicquest clone card). In this case you can isolate the daughterboard wavetable output by simply turning off the mt-32 or midi patchbay. But the other way around (mt-32 by itself) would require muting your sound card which is probably not what you’d want.
If it’s important to be able to choose output then I recommend installing the daughterboard on a different card as you stated. Then it will be on a different IO address (e.g. 330 vs. 300) so that’s how can choose where to output.

Reply 5 of 12, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
underthebridge wrote on 2022-07-10, 20:36:

There’s no real way I know of to ‘select’ between daughterboard midi and MPU-401 output via gameport, as the midi signal is output simultaneously.
If you have an mt-32 you should have an intelligent mode mpu-401 (like the pcmidi mpu which is a musicquest clone card). In this case you can isolate the daughterboard wavetable output by simply turning off the mt-32 or midi patchbay. But the other way around (mt-32 by itself) would require muting your sound card which is probably not what you’d want.
If it’s important to be able to choose output then I recommend installing the daughterboard on a different card as you stated. Then it will be on a different IO address (e.g. 330 vs. 300) so that’s how can choose where to output.

Cant i just use a SB Clone via SoftMpu for MT32 and then redirect the sound back to the SB 16? And listen over that? So i would have a different adress.

Reply 6 of 12, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

juggling adresses and multiple cards is supposed to be easier than just muting the wavetable in the SB mixer?

why overcomplicate things?

like I said, want to use the external? mute the internal.
want to use the internal? just turn off the external midi module.

Reply 7 of 12, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2022-07-11, 00:51:
juggling adresses and multiple cards is supposed to be easier than just muting the wavetable in the SB mixer? […]
Show full quote

juggling adresses and multiple cards is supposed to be easier than just muting the wavetable in the SB mixer?

why overcomplicate things?

like I said, want to use the external? mute the internal.
want to use the internal? just turn off the external midi module.

Iam using Unisound for my SB 16 as i couldnt get it to work without, so ill have no clue how to do so in DOS.

Reply 8 of 12, by underthebridge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-07-11, 00:30:
underthebridge wrote on 2022-07-10, 20:36:

Cant i just use a SB Clone via SoftMpu for MT32 and then redirect the sound back to the SB 16? And listen over that? So i would have a different adress.

Sure , whatever intelligent-mode MPU setup works best for you. Though personally I've never been a fan of emulating Roland mpu.

Reply 9 of 12, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-07-11, 00:53:

Iam using Unisound for my SB 16 as i couldnt get it to work without, so ill have no clue how to do so in DOS.

UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b
#Usage

Reply 10 of 12, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2022-07-11, 01:09:
Peter.Mengel wrote on 2022-07-11, 00:53:

UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b
#Usage

Ive did read this but what do i mute?
Thanks for the help