VOGONS

First post, by GriffintheFolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I understand the ES1370 is likely the most hated sound card on Vogons, but hear me out.

I installed the drivers just fine, and the card works amazing for Windows programs and games. However, in DOS games, the card often hangs notes for no discernible reason, grinding the entire system to a near halt in doing so. This occurs in both General MIDI and Sound Blaster mode with the horrible FM emulation.

However, I discovered that if I hold down any key on the keyboard, the card works “correctly”. That is, the program no longer comes to a near halt all the time, but still often freezes. I recorded the first level of Doom to demonstrate, while holding down a key on the keyboard. I moved around in game a few times to also demonstrate the random hanging.

Filename
ES1370.m4a
File size
368 KiB
Downloads
42 downloads
File comment
E1M1 of Doom in General MIDI mode, SB sound effects
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I’m at a loss as to what might be causing this; any help would be appreciated!

My pronouns are they/them; please refer to me as such. Thank you.

Reply 2 of 4, by GriffintheFolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pc-sound-legacy wrote on 2022-07-13, 08:45:

I've heard of someone who fixed problems by disabling USB keyboard support and use PS2 keyboard instead. If you use USB keyboard you should give it a try.

The keyboard is a PS2 keyboard already (I believe a Microsoft Pro Natural or similar) but the mouse is still over USB. I’ve been meaning to find a PS2 mouse for some time, though…

EDIT: I tried unplugging the mouse; it made no difference.

Last edited by GriffintheFolf on 2022-07-13, 17:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 4, by GriffintheFolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apologies for the delay, but I found a PS/2 mouse lately, so I can try the suggestion to turn off the USB legacy support. Unfortunately I’m on vacation right now, so it will be a few more days until I can try it out.