VOGONS

First post, by Andreasp711

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm relatively new to all of these old midi devices, I am importing an SC-55MKII from japan and I realized that I will not have the ability to power the damn thing, I'm in Australia so our power is 240v, everywhere I look, I find us or eu power supplies for the SC-55. I also had a look at some generic 9v 1a dc power supplies but I am worried about the reversed jack that the Roland devices use. Does anyone have any idea how I could power this?

Thanks,
Andreas

Reply 2 of 12, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want to go official which many people will recommend, look for the Roland PSB-240 (or 240A). Plenty of local music shops stock them, and they'll run you around $60-$70.

That said, I'm running a couple from the same seller linked here, mrpower_au:

Andreasp711 wrote on 2022-07-14, 10:55:

So I just stumbled upon this when searching for "negative center 9v 1a power supply"
Would this work just fine?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/384452499502

He has a specific listing for his MT-32 supply, item number 384493911666. I've been using them for my MT-32 and SC-55 for several years with no issues.

Reply 3 of 12, by Andreasp711

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[/quote]
He has a specific listing for his MT-32 supply, item number 384493911666. I've been using them for my MT-32 and SC-55 for several years with no issues.
[/quote]
This is bloody perfect man, Thank You!!!
Another quick question, what is a cost effective way of setting up the unit on a modern pc with usb to midi? I've looked at the UM-ONE MK2 but it may be too far out of my budget. I also know about those trashy cheap chinese ones that go for 10 bucks. Any decent units that wont break the budget?

Reply 4 of 12, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Andreasp711 wrote on 2022-07-14, 11:30:

[/quote]
Another quick question, what is a cost effective way of setting up the unit on a modern pc with usb to midi? I've looked at the UM-ONE MK2 but it may be too far out of my budget. I also know about those trashy cheap chinese ones that go for 10 bucks. Any decent units that wont break the budget?
[/quote]

Try looking for a Yamaha brand USB Midi cable/interface. They all use the same driver and Win10 is officially supported.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 5 of 12, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also went the tightarse option when first buying a USB MIDI adapter 😁 and went for one of those Chinese things that ebay is full of. It served me well driving the MT-32 from DOSBox. I haven't needed to use it for a long time, but I just dusted it off and tried playing some MIDI files from my Win11 laptop to the SC-55. Everything worked perfectly.

I've seen a few people here report issues with them, and it should be said that just because the one I bought 10 years ago is fine, doesn't mean the current ones are the same, even if they look the same. But I'd say it's worth a punt.

Reply 6 of 12, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-07-14, 11:58:
Andreasp711 wrote on 2022-07-14, 11:30:

[/quote]

Try looking for a Yamaha brand USB Midi cable/interface. They all use the same driver and Win10 is officially supported.
[/quote]

Oh hey there fellow aussie , If ya wanted to get something quicker at a bit more cost you could pop down to Jaycar and get one of these

https://www.jaycar.com.au/9v-dc-1-66a-slim-po … -plugs/p/MP3484

They have reversible polarity and they work fine for all my Roland midi gear.

Reply 7 of 12, by Andreasp711

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey everyone, so I've made a decision that I will buy the cheap power supply from ebay for 16 bucks, because of the vouch, I trust it.
For the midi cable, I found this highly reviewed midi to usb cable by Fasgear https://www.amazon.com.au/Adapter-Fasgear-Key … /dp/B08J6XVWFN/
The only issue is that I'm not really sure if the sysex messages will appear correctly on the sc-55.
Does anyone have any idea if this will work?

Thanks,
Andreas

Reply 8 of 12, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If the cable is made correctly, it should work with any module. It's just a pipe that carries code between source and module. Cheap cables mostly suffer from driver issues that send data too fast or too slow. (MIDI is basically a form of serial cable. USB-MIDI cables turn a USB port into a serial port).

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 9 of 12, by Andreasp711

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Everyone,

While I continue to wait for Jauce to update my order, I ask for anyone's experience with the M-Audio UNO midi-usb adapter, does this work with SysEx Messages?
It is a pretty expensive cable, and I would be very bummed out to find that it doesn't work well.

Thanks,
Andreas

Reply 10 of 12, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't buy any expensive cables. 😀 (Unless you can afford it, of course!) Anything should work. I've occasionally had issues with the Chinese ones, but they're so cheap, you buy another and move on. I have had luck finding Roland and other cables affordably on eBay and Gumtree, though.

As for power supplies, don't worry about brand or whatever. Make sure that:
- voltage is exact (9V)
- amperage is at least the required number (600mA), NOT LOWER
- polarity is correct
I got my replacements for MT-32, SC-55mkII for about 15 bucks on eBay.

Which part of Oz are you in? if you're in Canberra, I can probably loan or give you some cables.

Reply 11 of 12, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use the Jaycar 9v adapter (set to center negative) with my SC-55MKII. Been fine for about 2 years.

I use a midi-usb cable branded "Wersi". It's more expensive than the super-cheaps, but much cheaper than the proper brandeds. example or ebay link /itm/255228219972

Reply 12 of 12, by Andreasp711

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone!

Sorry for bringing a necro thread back but I've actually gotten all the equipment!
The unit works perfectly in the demo mode and does work with the cable (sorta, ill get to that in a bit)
The cable that I chose was a bit stupid, I was told however the Chinese cables are fine, but after hearing the awful hanging notes and random jumps and quirks that where occurring I believe it may be worth getting a higher quality cable.

Thanks for everyone that replied to this thread, and I appreciate the awesome responses everyone gave to me especially because this was my first post 😀