VOGONS

Using the PLG150DR for my MU2000EX

Topic actions

First post, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone. Did not know if I should necro one of the really older threads or start a new one since I feel my question might be a bit different.

Recently obtained a PLG-150-DR for my Yamaha MU2000EX. Everything installed correctly as far as I can tell and the PLG LED light comes on as well as sees the 150 DR in the settings, and detects it on device power up.

However when I goto the PLG menu and set the drums to channel 10. Nothing seems to change in the music output. The PLG LED light never flashes to indicate that the card is working in conjuction with everything else.

Standard MIDI works, yet I am struggling to figure out how to apply the module and wondering if I am doing something wrong in the settings.

Thank you all for your time and any helpful considerations towards this.

V

An Analog Girl in a Digital World

Reply 1 of 25, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Setting PLG to channel 10 makes the PLG's bank available. You still have to select a kit to use. On the main screen first scroll over to Part 10. Then push the SELECT button (usually twice as the AD inputs come before PLGs) then you will notice the kit has changed to the corresponding PLG kit (Live Room A is default). From here you can spin the wheel to go through all the kits.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 2 of 25, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will try this when I get home from work. I watched all your videos on it and I'm like, "what am I doing wrong???"

Reply 3 of 25, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vanessaira wrote on 2022-07-15, 01:28:

I will try this when I get home from work. I watched all your videos on it and I'm like, "what am I doing wrong???"

This video is meant for MSX owners, but I demonstrate how to use PLG by SysEx codes. May also be useful for custom projects.
https://youtu.be/xZKsuRtTHQw

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 4 of 25, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome. I will take a look at the video when I can. I tried for a brief moment to work on it but I did not see the PLG DR card when scrolling on the wheel after hitting "select"

I did a factory reset, then init xg then drum. Went to util to select the DR then scrolled to 10. Exited, to main menu and scrolled to glocken which is 10 on mine and hit select, but then I do not see Live A.

Again I'll check the video later but I am starting to wonder if something is up.

Reply 5 of 25, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vanessaira wrote on 2022-07-15, 12:43:

Awesome. I will take a look at the video when I can. I tried for a brief moment to work on it but I did not see the PLG DR card when scrolling on the wheel after hitting "select"

I did a factory reset, then init xg then drum. Went to util to select the DR then scrolled to 10. Exited, to main menu and scrolled to glocken which is 10 on mine and hit select, but then I do not see Live A.

Again I'll check the video later but I am starting to wonder if something is up.

Here, try this MIDI file:

Filename
DS00ROCK.zip
File size
904 Bytes
Downloads
43 downloads
File license
Public domain

Reply 6 of 25, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome. Will definitely try it out. Hopefully that helps.

Going to look out for that software you have to on YAJ or something and try to import it.

Reply 7 of 25, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-07-15, 13:04:

Here, try this MIDI file: DS00ROCK.zip

The MIDI file demo did work! So I know the PLG card works. I just need to figure out how to actually use it with the games I want to try.

I might shoot some video of what I am seeing and unlist it but link it here. Maybe see what I am doing wrong?

Reply 8 of 25, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vanessaira wrote on 2022-07-16, 07:59:
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-07-15, 13:04:

Here, try this MIDI file: DS00ROCK.zip

The MIDI file demo did work! So I know the PLG card works. I just need to figure out how to actually use it with the games I want to try.

I might shoot some video of what I am seeing and unlist it but link it here. Maybe see what I am doing wrong?

That will most certainly help. 😀

Reply 9 of 25, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I did up a quick video. Please tell me what I am doing wrong. Thank you for your help again.

https://youtu.be/P6zI0dDKP18

Reply 10 of 25, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vanessaira wrote on 2022-07-24, 11:08:

Okay, I did up a quick video. Please tell me what I am doing wrong. Thank you for your help again.

Thats the wrong select button. You need to push the circle shaped SELECT button next to the Audition button. It switches the play device for the selected channel. Default is MU, second is AD inputs, after that it goes through PLGs.

Reply 11 of 25, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-07-24, 23:34:

Thats the wrong select button. You need to push the circle shaped SELECT button next to the Audition button. It switches the play device for the selected channel. Default is MU, second is AD inputs, after that it goes through PLGs.

All I have is Voice when I push Select. Voice all the way through 128.

https://youtu.be/xTNvZHOnQSc

Reply 12 of 25, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vanessaira wrote on 2022-07-24, 23:45:

Voice refers to the AD inputs. The PLG isn't appearing because you have to move to channel 10 first (as you assigned it to channel 10 in the PLG menu.) In the above video, you are on channel 14, then 15, and in the first video it appears you are on channel 06.

If you are still confused I'll make a quick vid tonight.

Reply 13 of 25, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-07-25, 03:58:

Voice refers to the AD inputs. The PLG isn't appearing because you have to move to channel 10 first (as you assigned it to channel 10 in the PLG menu.) In the above video, you are on channel 14, then 15, and in the first video it appears you are on channel 06.

I am very confused. Sorry, I am just not grasping where I am going wrong looking the options and trying to navigate the wheel, etc. I am not seeing why I am on channel 14 and then 6 and where to see this.

A quick video would be super helpful. I tried watching your MSX one but I was not seeing what I needed to navigate the menus. Sorry again.

Reply 15 of 25, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vanessaira wrote on 2022-07-25, 04:58:

I am very confused. Sorry, I am just not grasping where I am going wrong looking the options and trying to navigate the wheel, etc. I am not seeing why I am on channel 14 and then 6 and where to see this.

A quick video would be super helpful. I tried watching your MSX one but I was not seeing what I needed to navigate the menus. Sorry again.

And done:
https://youtu.be/HLbCkZEGv6A

Reply 16 of 25, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-07-16, 09:13:

It doesn't work at all with games and the few XG-compliant games were made for the older, low-end XG Level-1 synths that have no expansion boards, specifically the MU50/DB50 and the S-YXG50 soft-synth. The PLG boards are performance-grade MIDI modules within a studio MIDI module and can't be accessed by software that wasn't designed or intended to work with them. The best you can do is take any game MIDI files (GM) and tweak them to work with the XG soundset and whatever PLG soundset you have available.

Reply 17 of 25, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-07-25, 15:03:
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-07-16, 09:13:

It doesn't work at all with games and the few XG-compliant games were made for the older, low-end XG Level-1 synths that have no expansion boards, specifically the MU50/DB50 and the S-YXG50 soft-synth. The PLG boards are performance-grade MIDI modules within a studio MIDI module and can't be accessed by software that wasn't designed or intended to work with them. The best you can do is take any game MIDI files (GM) and tweak them to work with the XG soundset and whatever PLG soundset you have available.

Depends on the PLG, game, hardware and determination you have:

PLG150-DR:
Sonic the Hedgehog (MS) https://youtu.be/ZHZUP16OLiE
Chex Quest: https://youtu.be/79K04ZqoouI?t=190

PLG150-AN:
Gradius (MSX) https://youtu.be/9RJl9aebBM4
Dungeon Hunter (MSX) https://youtu.be/UcqYe48eqj8

Reply 18 of 25, by Vanessaira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-07-25, 13:39:

And done:

OMG IT WORKS!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! This was exactly the tutorial I needed to understand what I was looking at and how things acts after resets, instruments, etc. And understanding "Parts" helps to go along ways.

Are there any other PLG modules you would recommend? I like collecting this stuff even if it has very little or limited gaming use, and I would like to get a keyboard someday to plug all my modules into and mess around with music.

Also I like the idea of maxing out my MU2000EX.

Reply 19 of 25, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vanessaira wrote on 2022-07-26, 10:05:
OMG IT WORKS!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! This was exactly the tutorial I needed to understand what I was looking at and […]
Show full quote
SuperDeadite wrote on 2022-07-25, 13:39:

And done:

OMG IT WORKS!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! This was exactly the tutorial I needed to understand what I was looking at and how things acts after resets, instruments, etc. And understanding "Parts" helps to go along ways.

Are there any other PLG modules you would recommend? I like collecting this stuff even if it has very little or limited gaming use, and I would like to get a keyboard someday to plug all my modules into and mess around with music.

Also I like the idea of maxing out my MU2000EX.

Depends on your tastes, I adore analog sounds so I have an AN. I also have SG... very bizzare device like nothing else. Fun toy if you can get one cheap. (Mine was 40 bucks 🤣). I want to buy a DX but they are the most expensive by far.

Also, I uploaded all the PLG editors and demo midis that I have in another thread the other day by the way.