VOGONS

First post, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wonder, if exist any option to reinstall the OS-imposed WDM soundcard driver with more suitable (for my purposes) VXD?
The sound card (Sound Galaxy PRO 16III 3D PNP, Aztech 2320) is found after the start of the W98SE and its WDM drivers are installed without the possibility of user intervention. However, these drivers do not work well or at all in DOS games, launched from W98SE. When trying to reinstall in Device Manager and guide it to the directory with .vxd and .drv drivers, the system refuses to change the driver, claiming that the most suitable driver is already installed.
Everything works perfectly in the W95, unfortunately there's another problem and so I'd like to run this card in the W98SE, just with .vxd drivers.
Is that somehow possible?

Reply 1 of 2, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did manage to use the win95 vxd drivers on win98 with an azt2320, but I don't know what I could have done differently, sorry.

Last edited by Oetker on 2022-07-17, 21:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 2, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know what happened before, but I tried one last time and now miraculously succeeded! I have the right drivers, two floppy disks directly for the SG Pro 16III (P1633D-1 and 2), but previously W98SE stubbornly refused to install me other than the WDMs they selected themselves. Lastly, I managed to force them through a driver update - probably some kind of magic or awkward hands? Anyway, it's working properly now, and I finally have a decent OPL soundcard to assemble with the K6-2 and Ali Aladdin V, which is what I was aiming for.