VOGONS

Reply 101 of 880, by mr.gravis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2022-07-26, 10:19:
I don't know how to answer that The card uses for windows 9x the Crystal CS4237 drivers , the Ultrasound PnP drivers, the OPL3 […]
Show full quote
mr.gravis wrote on 2022-07-26, 10:11:

I understand all this , I just became interested in all this , I ask here , I ask on YouTube , etc . , it 's better to eat , but it became interesting to deal with old hardware , I would prefer to know more information , the more the better , from recording , to operational tagging and drivers , etc .(translated from google)

I don't know how to answer that
The card uses for windows 9x the Crystal CS4237 drivers , the Ultrasound PnP drivers, the OPL3 driver and finally the Roland MPU-401 driver.
For DOS it uses Orphinit driver and for now the Ultrasound PnP DOS driver.
For windows3x it uses again all the stock/old drivers for CS4237/Ultrasound/MPU.
Only Orphinit is a custom-made driver, the rest is all the official drivers from the past.

thanks for the answers

Reply 103 of 880, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there is NO wait list or queue or anything like that atm
the card won't be available for another couple of months ...

@nakos1212
total length is 285mm

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 104 of 880, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey, here’s a thought, and it would be easy to add. A pc104 header would be handy for systems with only one isa slot free. It would allow people to add more stuff using this card.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 105 of 880, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-07-27, 17:30:

Hey, here’s a thought, and it would be easy to add. A pc104 header would be handy for systems with only one isa slot free. It would allow people to add more stuff using this card.

That sounds incredibly niche on an already niche card 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 106 of 880, by dank0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

well... i have different question - if you guys are able to do 3 sound cards in one, why you guys don't design handheld with decent screen and all this sound magic together so i dont have worry about any old HW and enjoy just gaming, something like valve steam deck for DOS/Windows 98 games? 😀

AMD K6-II 500, Nvidia TNT2 AGP, 256 MB RAM

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
•• WANTED: ROLAND SCP-55 ••
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Reply 107 of 880, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would you also make a Version without the MPU that fits small PCs ?

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 108 of 880, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@dank0
what you propose is way to complex to create , certainly out of our interests atm

@matze79
the reason the card is long is because space was needed for both a full-length wt board and simm socket
cost and availability/reliability reasons for DRAM chips is what lead to the socket and not soldered ram on board

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 109 of 880, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Out of curiosity, do you plan to release a less expensive version of this card with just GUS functions, something like an OrGUSm Lite? I'm not sure how much of the cost is due to CS4237/OPL3/PCMIDI but I would think it's a lot 😀

Reply 110 of 880, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ you mean like an Argus? 🤣
no plans to ever make a standalone GUS card

Reply 111 of 880, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2022-07-28, 09:02:

^ you mean like an Argus? 🤣
no plans to ever make a standalone GUS card

Yeah, well.. Yeah and no, because Argus is now unobtanium AFAIK?

Anyway, crossing my fingers and waiting for PicoGUS then 🤣 That reminds me, let me order a raspberry pico..

Reply 112 of 880, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

shock___ announced he will release the gerbers in a couple of weeks or so
so not that unobtanium for long 😀

Reply 113 of 880, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2022-07-28, 12:08:

shock___ announced he will release the gerbers in a couple of weeks or so
so not that unobtanium for long 😀

Fantastic news!

Reply 117 of 880, by dj_pirtu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, this just plain take-my-money stuff.

I have many GUS cards myself, Classic and MAX. Been looking for Extreme because of just one ISA slot on Abit KT7A, the best all-arounder motherboard. Of course ESS Solo-1 is great SB PRO clone in DOS, then there's Vortex2 for Win98, and Audigy2 for WinXP... I'm running out of slots.😅

And there it is, Orpheus II, and it's better than Extreme. All DOS goodness you'll ever need in one card, eating only one slot. 🤤

Reply 118 of 880, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Once again you mesmerize us with your outstanding project and mastered know-how, Keropi and Marmes. I was day dreaming about how the Orpheus ][ would be the ultimate retro dos card and I could not help but imagine what addition to it could there be. Of course Adlib Gold and EMU8k seem nonsensical to me, but the CMS/GameBlaster's SAA1099 might not be too complex to add. Please do not flame me as I'm not wanting to delay this much anticipated project with such a niche detail, really what I'm curious to know is if you gave it some consideration and what are your opinion to it ? Thank you for you attention, cheers ! 😀