VOGONS

Reply 300 of 881, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

in Windows DOS mode it may be running in protected mode. if you want to run DOS, you should Reboot in DOS mode and run Orphinit and IWINIT with the correct iw.ini. Make sure also that in orpheus.ini you have card set to OrpheusII. Also, for games, you need to run ultramid. I usually run ultramid -c
Ah, It's normal that gravis part doesn't run on DOS from windows. In DOS you need to use ultramid, to upload patches to memory so it can be compatible with GUS classic. Unless you have some software that supports interwave in DOS. As told on other topics, flash is not needed to use in GUS classic mode.

Reply 301 of 881, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So your saying its not possible to play music in games using the GUS if running in a DOS window while in Windows 98?

Also, where would I find ultramid.exe? Its not in the files from the Orpheus website?

Reply 303 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When the GUS PnP part is installed *correctly* under 9x then all functions will work in dos window same as with a real UltraSound PnP card : if something works with a Gravis card it will work with the OrpheusII GUS part as well. (I mention this because there is a good chance specific issues to be already answered/searchable in old GUS PnP threads/sites)

The only portions that are disabled on the Interwave chip are the SB/FM/MPU emulation ones since on OrpheusII you have the CS4237/OPL3/PCMIDI to use.
These options can be enabled anytime with the GUS PNP EEPROM tools that are widely available but nothing of importance will be gained and more conflicts will appear.

I cannot test atm win9x mode but under DOS and with the DOS pre-installed driver package (once again this is meant for PURE DOS) running Duke Nukem 3D for example is as easy as executing ULTRASND.BAT to initialize the card and then selecting the UltraSound option in both SFX and MIDI sections of the game, things will just work.
Remember this is a GUS CLASSIC game and as such it requires RAM to be installed on OrpheusII so that Interwave can load the GUS classic midi patch set.

If a game requires ULTRAMID to be loaded so it can have Gravis MIDI (like Tyrian for example) then running ULTRAMID.EXE -C before launching the game will just work (just extract it in the ULTRASND directory).

Running GUS games with the OrpheusII is the same as the original GUS PnP card: same features - same limitations.
There are several Interwave patches to add native support to games, even AMD hosted them at some point in time: https://web.archive.org/web/19970605084048/ht … ames/patch.html
And do not forget PREPGAME.EXE included in the DOS drivers, it can patch EPIC and DOS4GW games to work with the Interwave chip.

Attachments

• Filename
    UMID112.ZIP
    File size
    46.9 KiB
    Downloads
    52 downloads
    File comment
    Ultramid v1.12
    File license
    Public domain

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 304 of 881, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wanted to report back this morning... I have the GUS PnP working in Windows 98 now! I can't say exactly what I did that caused the fix as I have been messing around with a lot of things.

1. I completely removed all entries in the Autoexec.bat file that Windows98 uses.. I think when I get to DOS though ill start by using the ULTRASND folder from the Orpheus website, more to come there. But for now, it looks like everything works without anything in the Autoexec.bat. No orphinit, no ultrasnd.bat.. nothing. Although I will say I may put orphinit back in to set audio levels, they seem rather low to start.

2. I re-installed the Crystal drivers.. not sure this really did anything but wanted to just make sure there was no issues there.

3. I ran Prepgame in the Duke3D directory. Maybe this fixed Duke3D the most.. not 100% sure as I changed the autoexec.bat in #1 and did this at the same time before testing the game. I didn't have to run that for Heretic though.

4. All IRQ's and DMA's are set to 7 in the Ultrasound properties and config. Soundblaster still shows DMA 1 but that should be disabled and shouldn't matter.. doesn't seem to have any effect anyways.

So with all that said, everything appears to be working great in Windows 98 and Windows 98 DOS Mode. I have tried Duke3D, Heretic, Epic Pinball, even Tyrian (need to run the ultramid.exe -c before launching as stated in the previous post). But they all worked well!

I also confirmed all the SB components worked as well still. The Digital Effects and OPL3 all worked normally still. I could easily switch and mix and match components in the Duke3D setup sound config (this is the best place to test things imo, lots of options and can test sound right away).

As of right now I don't think there is anything else I need to do in Windows 98 itself, everything is working properly. Next will be getting the actual DOS config setup and working properly, will report back on how that goes soon!

Reply 305 of 881, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the update. It's great to get this kind of feedback, even if things don't work quite right, and especially when everything is solved later.

I'm looking forward to getting my Orpheus II in the mail very soon.

Reply 306 of 881, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-03-15, 14:05:

Thanks for the update. It's great to get this kind of feedback, even if things don't work quite right, and especially when everything is solved later.

I'm looking forward to getting my Orpheus II in the mail very soon.

I am very curious to hear about other peoples experiences with the card and the setups they have, the issues they went through etc... It's all good info that hopefully others will learn from 😀

So when you get yours, please let us all know how it goes. With that said, what system are you putting yours in and what OS will you be running?

Reply 308 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Glad to hear the issues are sorted out, enjoy KuroHouou!
win9x is always a puzzle once you start adding multiple soundcards...

I have updated the DOS package to also include UltraMID

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 310 of 881, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2023-03-15, 14:38:

Glad to hear the issues are sorted out, enjoy KuroHouou!
win9x is always a puzzle once you start adding multiple soundcards...

I have updated the DOS package to also include UltraMID

Thanks for your help and support! It's not easy getting all this working right, its like 4 cards are in my system but only 2 physical devices. All part of the fun 😉

Reply 312 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-03-15, 14:54:

How does external MIDI connect to the Orpheus II?

via dedicated midi-jack cable included with each card and via a standard gameport->midi adapter
MPU selection is either Crystal or PCMIDI , same as Orpheus I

Reply 313 of 881, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh look at that - I have a scheduled delivery today for an Orpheus II. Many, many thanks KuroHouou for going through the initial struggles for the rest of us. Really stoked to get this card going.

(edit=oh my gosh, wrong person. more coffee required. standby. 😃)

Last edited by doogie on 2023-03-15, 15:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 314 of 881, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
doogie wrote on 2023-03-15, 15:32:

Oh look at that - I have a scheduled delivery today for an Orpheus II. Many, many thanks Kahenraz for going through the initial struggles for the rest of us. Really stoked to get this card going.

Awesome!! Please let us know your system its going into and the experience you have 😀. Would love to hear more about your configuration and setup.

Reply 315 of 881, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have moved over to DOS and am trying to get the Orpheus II working. Running into some issues though. Just to restate, I am using a Asus P3B-F motherboard. In that config I have set IRQ's 3 (MPU401), 5 (SB), 7 (GUS) as reserved for ISA cards so in Windows 98 other devices don't try to take those IRQs.

Again, testing with Duke3D as its easiest to config and test all at once.

Ophinit runs, but right now the only thing I actually have working is OPL3 Music. The SB Pro isn't working for digital effects.
The GUS actually when trying to initialize when running ultrasnd.bat from the Orpheus provided files says the card isn't found at all.

Will keep at it but wanted to provide an update and see if anyone had any tips..

Reply 317 of 881, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To initialize GUS part, just run IWINIT.EXE -V9 to see everything. Also, make sure in orpheus.ini you have it set for orpheusII on configuration.
Orpheus 2 is not supported by unisound yet, I believe it will be in a near future.

Reply 318 of 881, by NinjaWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cheers!!! My Orpheus II has arrived!! I installed it, configured the BIOS accordingly, and it is working like a charm!

Thank you Marmes & Keropi, and 640K!enough of course 😁

P.S. What a nice surprise when I saw the 3 stickers, this is indeed a PRO product!

orpheusII_ninjawarrior.png
Filename
File size
746.62 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
orpheusII_ninjawarrior_2.png
Filename
File size
889.48 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
orpheusII_ninjawarrior_3.png
Filename
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by NinjaWarrior on 2023-03-17, 19:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 319 of 881, by Stevogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NinjaWarrior wrote on 2023-03-17, 19:51:
Cheers!!! My Orpheus II has arrived!! I installed it, configured the BIOS accordingly, and it is working like a charm! […]
Show full quote

Cheers!!! My Orpheus II has arrived!! I installed it, configured the BIOS accordingly, and it is working like a charm!

Thank you Marmes & Keropi, and 640K!enough of course 😁

Ooh is that a MT-32-Pi I see mounted on there