VOGONS

Reply 820 of 884, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there is very little that could go wrong in the speaker input - and I doubt this is the cause
the direct speaker capture on the C3 system does not sound good to begin with tbh
CS4237 does not interfere with the speaker - it is just a mono input and it's either ON or OFF
the input does get filtered internally to reduce ear-bleeding sounds but that is sound output manipulation
do try on the other system , this will tell us if something is actually wrong on the card's input

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 821 of 884, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

just tested on my 386DX , it works fine - as expected tbh
I made a quick mobile phone video - speaker volume is set to 3 in orpheus.ini and speakers volume is max in order for phone to actually record something useful...
sure it is a bad way to capture audio but it's quick and one can clearly hear there are no unexpected playback issues: https://youtu.be/KnlFKDQF3f0

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 822 of 884, by kahuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for checking.
I have tabled this matter for the moment, I will focus on getting the most out of the Orpheus and enjoying the GUS output 😀

Be free!

Reply 823 of 884, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Btw, it works REALLY well playing tracker music on 386DX, even the most complex one.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300

Reply 824 of 884, by atomeec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kahuna wrote on 2024-03-05, 23:02:

Thanks for checking.
I have tabled this matter for the moment, I will focus on getting the most out of the Orpheus and enjoying the GUS output 😀

I also already connected to the speaker to the Orpheus' input and seems (sounds) fine for me. The actual speaker is way too loud to enjoy (maybe some resistor could be applied to lower its volume but have no info about it yet).

Also @kahuna, sorry but I cannot reply to your PM as I don't have enough posts yet on the forums to be eligible for PMs 😁
My opinion about settings that I'll try to collect and post it here how my orpheus.ini and mt-32pi config looks like. Not perfect but enough to enjoy. Also I have played with Gravis' mixer. I'll try to gather these latest tomorrow.

Reply 825 of 884, by atomeec

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, here is my configuration for orpheus.ini (the important parts):
MPUBase=300
MPUIRQ=disabled
Mode=sb
SRSMode=off
PMicVol=mute;31
LineInVol=0
CDVol=4
WTHeaderVol=10CMVol=12
FMVol=0
PCSpeakerVol=0
SB-Input-select=line-in
SB-PCMVol=7
SB-MicLevel=0
SB-MasterVol=7
SB-FMVol=7
SB-CDVol=7
SB-LineVol=7

Sorry for the mess but I can't attach a file I think (or yet). They are in order, so you can compare and test.

for mt-32pi config what I did to separate the default effects from the sound fonts (one by one needed to declare for soundfonts in this case), but for the important part of the volume:
[mt32emu]
# Values: 0.0-256.0 (1.0*)
gain = 0.3
# Values: 0.0-infinity (1.0*)
reverb_gain = 0.3

[fluidsynth]
# Values: 0.0-10.0 (0.2*)
gain = 0.1

Overall volume could be best set if I would know about MIDI SysEx and its commands...

My config is at the moment is Orpheus II with McCake wavetable but also available SC-55 and MT-32 as external sound modules (due to situation when both connected and cannot simply disable wavetable header I decided to use only the McCake for now).

Reply 826 of 884, by CHA0SHACKER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

You’ll probably get this question often but is there any timetable on when the Orpheus II LT will be available again?
I already have a GUS PnP clone and therefore don’t need the GUS part of the Orpheus II.

AMD K6-III+ 400 ATZ @ 550 MHz 1.8V | Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev 5.2 (Ali Aladdin V Northbridge Rev. E) | 2x128MB 100MT/s SDRAM CL2 Double Sided | 32GB CF Card | 3DFX Voodoo 4 4500 32MB @ 183MHz | Gravis UltraSound PnP (clone) with 16MB 60ns EDO

Reply 827 of 884, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We started arranging for another LT batch now that the "full" O2 is almost gone, should take 4 weeks or so though...

Reply 828 of 884, by CHA0SHACKER

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That should be around my birthday day then. Perfect!
Thanks for the answer.

AMD K6-III+ 400 ATZ @ 550 MHz 1.8V | Gigabyte GA-5AX Rev 5.2 (Ali Aladdin V Northbridge Rev. E) | 2x128MB 100MT/s SDRAM CL2 Double Sided | 32GB CF Card | 3DFX Voodoo 4 4500 32MB @ 183MHz | Gravis UltraSound PnP (clone) with 16MB 60ns EDO

Reply 829 of 884, by dfaber1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just received my Orpheus II yesterday. I used Unisound v0.81b to configure both the GUS and the CS to run at the same time. Can now switch between GUS, OPL3, External MIDI or Internal Wave Table without rebooting or re initializing the card.

Suggestion for future Updates.

1. Creative Music System
2. Integrate the 16MB of RAM for the GUS in the card
3. AWE32 (if possible)
4. IDE and/or SCSI interface

Reply 830 of 884, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dfaber1 wrote on 2024-03-14, 11:19:

Just received my Orpheus II yesterday. I used Unisound v0.81b to configure both the GUS and the CS [...]

unisound does not fully support OrpheusII currently - the option to enable the external OPL is not working as it's different than Orpheus 1 (which is fully supported)

Reply 831 of 884, by dfaber1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2024-03-14, 11:52:

Just received my Orpheus II yesterday. I used Unisound v0.81b to configure both the GUS and the CS [...]

unisound does not fully support OrpheusII currently - the option to enable the external OPL is not working as it's different than Orpheus 1 (which is fully supported)

Good to know.

Thank you.

Reply 832 of 884, by dfaber1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2024-03-14, 11:52:

Any idea when Unisound will support the Orpheus II?

Thanks

Reply 833 of 884, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dfaber1 wrote on 2024-03-14, 18:36:

Any idea when Unisound will support the Orpheus II?

Thanks

None, sorry
It's up to JazeFox to decide if he wants to add it in some future update.
Orphinit and preinstalled ultrasnd.zip work perfect and effortless - give it a go.

Reply 834 of 884, by Renaissance 2K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a foolproof DOS game you folks use for testing your GUS sound configuration? By "foolproof", I mean it works out of the box without any patching, manual configuration, etc. You just enter the game's SETUP program, pick "Gravis Ultrasound", and go.

I'm using the preinstalled Gravis package in a real DOS environment with everything expansion removed from my PC (based on an Asus P3B-F) except my video card and the Orpheus II. When ULTRASND.BAT is called from AUTOEXEC, I hear a quiet pop through my speakers that I assume is the card getting ready, but I can't find a game for which I can choose "Gravis Ultrasound" and hear anything. I have to pick some variant of Sound Blaster, which is likely lower quality than GUS. The "Play WAV" and "Play MIDI" buttons in MIXER.EXE are also grayed out.

Oddly enough, I've used the Gravis setup program to add GUS the drivers/device to Windows 3.1, and everything works fine. I see Gravis in the Drivers list, action sounds are working properly, and I can run some multimedia and MIDI applications. I think this means everything is connected properly; I just can't get any sound in DOS without falling back to Sound Blaster.

Anything have any thoughts? I had an Orpheus I in here originally without issue, but I know the GUS adds a whole lot more complexity. Both cards are absolutely amazing achievements.

Thanks.

Reply 835 of 884, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Renaissance 2K wrote on 2024-03-15, 20:09:

Is there a foolproof DOS game you folks use for testing your GUS sound configuration? By "foolproof", I mean it works out of the box without any patching, manual configuration, etc. You just enter the game's SETUP program, pick "Gravis Ultrasound", and go.
[...]

DOOM pretty much works out of the box if the card is configured with orphinit and ultrasnd.zip before running it
inside ultrasnd.zip there are 2 TXT files: orpheus2.txt and games.txt , give them a read as they will explain how things work
the most you will have to do would be to run PREPGAME once before using Ultrasound option with an interwave/orpheus2 card
so for example if you want to run Jazz Jackrabbit with ultrasound you go to it's directory, run prepgame , run setup and select ultrasound and then run the game
game will be patched and you don't have to run prepgame patcher again in the future
some games even have their own GUS executable or instructions - you just follow these
and that's about it , assuming the card is fully initialized without issues then things will work like above

Reply 836 of 884, by rkurbatov

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Renaissance 2K wrote on 2024-03-15, 20:09:

Thanks.

Impulse Tracker is an excellent test as for me. It supports AMD chip directly unlike generic GUS games.

486: ECS UM486 VLB, 256kb cache, i486 DX2/66, 8MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440AGi VLB 1MB, Pro Audio Spectrum 16, FDD 3.5, ZIP 100 ATA
PII: Asus P2B, Pentium II 400MHz, 512MB RAM, Trident 9750 AGP 4MB, Voodoo2 SLI, MonsterSound MX300