VOGONS

Reply 160 of 881, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ChrisTOTG wrote on 2022-11-25, 01:01:

Does the LT have Gravis Ultrasound support? Or is that what the Interwave chip does?

Let me answer your question: logically, without the Interwave chip, the Orpheus II card behaves like a "normal" (or rather super-equipped 😉 ) OPL3 sound card with SoundBlaster/SoundBlasterPRO/Windows Sound System compatibility and with intelligent MPU-401 functionality
So no Gravis Ultra Sound features

Reply 161 of 881, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does the LT have Gravis Ultrasound support? Or is that what the Interwave chip does?

Indeed that's what the Interwave chip does. See the LT as an update of the Orpheus I where they implemented improvements planned for Orpheus II on the existing.

I just can't get enough of Keropi and Marmes stuff and can't recommend it enough. I'm also skipping this one as I am very happy with my Orpheus I and saving for the full-flavor Orpheus II 😀 I can't wait to read more news about it!

Reply 162 of 881, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Interwave is the heart of GUS, so the LT is a non-GUS version of the Orpheus II that basically updates the original Orpheus with Orpheus II's hardware bug fixes and QOL upgrades.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 163 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't say OrpheusI had bugs - things are connected according to what Crystal envisioned and if they made windows drivers that allowed the yamaha OPL3 to be used things would not have to change in that regard.
All improvements are simply because of experience gained on using the chip and designing more cards in the meantime , just like everything in life you get better as time passes 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 165 of 881, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
firage wrote on 2022-12-19, 08:41:

Great stuff! Do you have any sort of measurements regarding your performance on the analog side and improvement over the first Orpheus?

I believe the analog output circuitry is basically identical?

Reply 166 of 881, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How's it going with the OrpheusII anyway? I was hoping for christmas time but honestly with all the awesome retro hardware coming out it's christmas all year nowadays :D

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 167 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

there was no way to make it for xmas time so now the full OprheusII is an early 2023 thing...
there are no audio comparisons/measurement on output - but things should be better than the original model - but it would be splitting hair at this point and I am not even sure the difference will play any role whatsoever

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 169 of 881, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Boohyaka wrote on 2022-12-21, 14:25:

I didn't want to be an impatient ass and ask for news, but now that it's done, thanks for the update and still looking forward to it :)

Leave that to me. :D

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 171 of 881, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Boohyaka wrote on 2022-12-21, 15:07:

Haha, yeah now realize the implication of what I said. Sorry! Thanks for what you do tho 😁

Someone had to take one for the team 😓

Reply 173 of 881, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

we are slowly getting there
codename "bigus cardus" is around the corner 🤣

Reply 176 of 881, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This card would be attractive for combining a known good digital FX chip for Sound Blaster Pro, a genuine Yamah OPL chip, and working MPU401 (wave table or external). I think I read that some of the features are available on optical as well.

My impression on this is that it's very similar to the Orpheus 1 but with the added benefit of a Yamaha OPL, which would otherwise require a second sound card (and a second slot), which may not even be a compatible configuration.

I haven't tried it, but is it possible to disable the FM portion of the Orpheus 1 or confure it to a port other than 0x388 so that another card can be used instead? This is what I do in another machine where I use the OPL chip from an ISA card but the FM from a PCI card.

Reply 177 of 881, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-01-20, 21:59:

This card would be attractive for combining a known good digital FX chip for Sound Blaster Pro, a genuine Yamah OPL chip, and working MPU401 (wave table or external). I think I read that some of the features are available on optical as well.

My impression on this is that it's very similar to the Orpheus 1 but with the added benefit of a Yamaha OPL, which would otherwise require a second sound card (and a second slot), which may not even be a compatible configuration.

I haven't tried it, but is it possible to disable the FM portion of the Orpheus 1 or confure it to a port other than 0x388 so that another card can be used instead? This is what I do in another machine where I use the OPL chip from an ISA card but the FM from a PCI card.

Not quite. Orpheus I and II have a true OPL3 chip. The main novelty of the Orpheus II is the InterWave chip, offering GUS playback capabilities on the same card.
With Orphinit, you can change the 0x388 address indeed, and even disable the OPL chip.

kinkong wrote on 2023-01-20, 21:52:

How does this compare to the MK8330 (ignoring MPU401 capability and price)? Would that make Orpheus II the go to for win9x?

Orpheus is an SB Pro compatible, with a true OPL3 chip, WSS support, wavetable and an optional PC-MIDI (Intelligent MPU-401). Its target is "early" DOS, as it has no SB16 compatibility. Still you can install it in Win9x, there are drivers for it and you will get sound. But if your focus is Win9x, there are better options.

MK8330 is more of a jack of all trade, with up to SB16 support, WSS, no real OPL3 chip but technically a 1 to 1 clone, and an optional PC-MIDI expansion. It will be useful in DOS, and in Win9x. If you have a heavy focus on Win9x with a bit of DOS on the side, I'd recommend the MK8330.

Reply 178 of 881, by IcySon55

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm, something just came to mind @keropi. For my main DOS rig I'm using a fairly new SilverStone case. It has USB 3 and HD Audio connectors. I've already located a USB3 to USB2 adapter, but what I haven't found is a HD Audio to AC'97 adapter. Could such an adapter be optionally bundled with the Orpheus I/II/MK8330? I'd buy 2 if you made them available since I have the Orpheus I and will later be picking up a II. 😄

Reply 179 of 881, by Stevogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
IcySon55 wrote on 2023-01-22, 03:34:

Hmmm, something just came to mind @keropi. For my main DOS rig I'm using a fairly new SilverStone case. It has USB 3 and HD Audio connectors. I've already located a USB3 to USB2 adapter, but what I haven't found is a HD Audio to AC'97 adapter. Could such an adapter be optionally bundled with the Orpheus I/II/MK8330? I'd buy 2 if you made them available since I have the Orpheus I and will later be picking up a II. 😄

Not sure if this helps but modDIY sells these adapter albeit at a high price 🙁

https://www.moddiy.com/products/AC%2797-to-HD … pter-Cable.html