VOGONS

Reply 280 of 884, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aegisk wrote on 2023-03-14, 13:21:

Hi keropi, I was wondering if it would be possible to receive a confirmation regarding the pre-orders that have been placed for the second batch. I can imagine I'm not the only person here that isn't sure if you received their email, asking to be placed on the waiting list for the second batch. Maybe it ended up in your Spam-b0x, etc, no clue. Just a reply saying "received, will get back to you once we have news!" would be more than enough for me to wait patiently, without the urge of sending another email 😀 Thanks!

hiya!
form entries are automatically entered to a list so there is no way an entry is not received 😉
if you want me to check just send me a PM with the email you used on the form and I'll get back to you!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 281 of 884, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
KuroHouou wrote on 2023-03-14, 21:25:

Running through the setup of my Orpheus II in Windows 98 but have some questions... Are we supposed to install the Windows 95 Plug and Play drivers, I assume so as they really are the only ones that would work in Windows 98. That said, it does install the ULTRASND Directory in the C:\ drive. But you also have your own version of ULTRASND for DOS and in turn DOS in Windows Mode. Should we not use the ones it installs I am guessing? So in the autoexec.bat, just point to the folder I copy from Orpheus?

So far I have been able to get GUS sound effects to work in Windows DOS Mode, but having some issues getting music to work. Been trying with Duke3D first.

There is only one driver for all win9x versions - the win95 v2.2 one
Ideally you should let the windows driver install it's stuff to where it wants and also mount the PnP CD , run it and let it install stuff too so that you will have a good working win9x and DOS-in-9x environments.

The "DOS: Gravis UltraSound PnP PREINSTALLED driver" is meant to be used under pure DOS , not a DOS-in-9x environment.
You might be able to merge both DOS portions if resources remain the same but in any case for a proper working win9x environment you need to use the gravis 2.2 driver + CD

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 282 of 884, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great... think I screwed something up 🤣. Now DOS games in Windows can't detect the GUS at all... Not even for digital sound like I had working before. maybe ill try uninstalling all the apps and deleting the devices in the control panel and see if I can get it working again...

Reply 284 of 884, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-03-14, 23:06:

That's usually a sign that the IRQ and DMA isn't setup right for the card in Device Manager.

So in Windows it defaults to installing my GUS device on irq 11 so I have to go in and change it to 7 manually.

Before the change, the game says the IRQ needs to be 7 or less

After the change that's when it says the device can't be found anymore.

I noticed the iw.ini updated though after the change so its reflecting IRQ1=7 like it should

The rest of the settings that I think matter there are...

DMA1=5
DMA2=7
IRQ1=7
IRQ2=0

I don't quite know what IRQ2 would be for?? But the DMA's are right according to what I see in Windows anyways.

Edit/Update

Ok, got the Digital Sound working again in Duke3D but the music is still not working. I made the

DMA1=7
DMA2=5
IRQ1=7
IRQ2=0

Also IWSETENV.bAT is setup with the following

SET ULTRASND =240,7,5,7,7

Side note, it has

SET BLASTER=

can I delete that?

Reply 285 of 884, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thar doesn't seem right. It should be IRQ 5, 7 and DMA 1 and 5. It's very common for Windows to assign sound devices resources that are out of range or not compatible with DOS games.

When in doubt, lookup the default resource layout for a Sound Blaster 16:

https://retronn.de/imports/soundblaster_config_guide.html

Also note that I do not have any GUS and have not yet received my Orpheus II, so I am guessing that this is the correct procedure.

Reply 286 of 884, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-03-14, 23:36:
Thar doesn't seem right. It should be IRQ 5, 7 and DMA 1 and 5. It's very common for Windows to assign sound devices resources t […]
Show full quote

Thar doesn't seem right. It should be IRQ 5, 7 and DMA 1 and 5. It's very common for Windows to assign sound devices resources that are out of range or not compatible with DOS games.

When in doubt, lookup the default resource layout for a Sound Blaster 16:

https://retronn.de/imports/soundblaster_config_guide.html

Also note that I do not have any GUS and have not yet received my Orpheus II, so I am guessing that this is the correct procedure.

IRQ 5 and DMA 1 and 5 are typical for SB.. but the SB Emulation is disabled on the GUS for the Orpheus so kind of makes sense its set to nothing here. Was just wondering if I can delete that line. But that should be effecting the music for the GUS I don't think.. It's weird, in the Duke3D setup, I hear a pop like its trying to initialize the sound, but nothing plays.

Reply 288 of 884, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kahenraz wrote on 2023-03-14, 23:47:

Then it may be correct. Perhaps a GUS is on its own separate resources and emulates Sound Blaster compatibility; or in the case or Orpheus, gets that from the Crystal chip instead.

Yep, it gets it from the Crystal chip, it does all the SB duties. Everything about the normal GUS is disabled except for Synth and Codec, music and digital sound/effects. All the inputs, mpu401, CDRom, Gameports etc are all disabled.

Strange thing is, in windows I can get the synth to work, if I select it in the multimedia settings I can load up winamp and play midi's with the GUS synth.. just no music working in Windows DOS mode yet...

Reply 290 of 884, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just to post the official Documentation on this bit of info..

---
"It is best to completely ignore SETUP.EXE that attempts to allocate and test
resources for the GUS PnP Interwave chip, the program is just too buggy and
unstable (this behavior is irrelevant to OrpheusII , the same applies to
the original Gravis UltraSound PnP cards).

By default the Interwave chip in this package is configured to use:
Port: 240
DMA: 7
IRQ: 7

Record/Playback share the same DMA/IRQ - not only to save 2 resources but
also because the InterWave is a playback-only device on the OrpheusII.
Sound inputs, Joystick, recording, SoundBlaster, MPU-401, OPL3 all are
handled by the CS-4237/PCMIDI portions of the card and the InterWave portion
only handles the Gravis UltraSound stuff (much like Gravis did with their
Gravis UltraSound Extreme card). Because of that files related to such
emulations have been removed from this package as there is no need to have
InterWave attempting to emulate a SoundBlaster or a MPU-401 interface."
----

Only thing is, Windows assigns two DMA's to the GUS device, 5 and 7.. Maybe I disable one??

Reply 291 of 884, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great, now I find out the SB sound from the Crystal part doesn't work anymore 🤣... must be a lot of conflicts going on here between all these bits and pieces. MPU401 is still working fine at least...

Reply 292 of 884, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great, now I find out the SB sound from the Crystal part doesn't work anymore 🤣... must be a lot of conflicts going on here between all these bits and pieces. MPU401 is still working fine at least...

It looks like if I got into the GUS UltraSound Properties in Windows it is trying to take DMA 1 for SB/Adlib actually. That must be causing the config. Need to find how to completely disable the SB bits on the GUS.

Reply 293 of 884, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello!
SB Bits/Joystick/CDROM are disabled on gus part.
If you have trouble go to control panel, devices, then configure Crystal part to 220 I5 D1 and when you install gravis part you will see Things disabled. (See pictures on first post of this thread) Try to set gravis part to 240 I7 D7 H7.
Also on PCMIDI you must use 330 I2/9

Reply 294 of 884, by Marmes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KuroHouou wrote on 2023-03-15, 00:00:

Only thing is, Windows assigns two DMA's to the GUS device, 5 and 7.. Maybe I disable one??

You should use 2 DMAs High and low DMA you can set to 7 both or 7 and 6 for example.

Reply 295 of 884, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Windows set to DMA 7 for high and low and IRQ set to 7 as well. So it should all be 240 I7 D7 H7. My Crystal SB should be 220 I5 D1 D5, at least that's what it has always been. But right now I have two issues.

1. Music doesn't work from the GUS, I hear a little pop like it should start playing the music but then nothing plays
2. Sound Effects no longer work when set to Sound Blaster, says their is a conflict now.
3. I am getting an error when orphinit runs saying unable to reset soundblaster dsp, probably related to 2.

I am attaching some more screen shots from my setup

Attachments

Last edited by KuroHouou on 2023-03-15, 01:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 297 of 884, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Marmes wrote on 2023-03-15, 01:12:

D5 is not ok it should be D3 , there is no DMA5 on crystal part. Only 0, 1, 3

For the Sound Blaster you mean? DMA 3 and DMA 1 should be used? Actually I got the SB working again, although still see that error from Orphinit... My SB Audigy was trying to take IRQ 5 so I had to reserve it in the bios.

Last edited by KuroHouou on 2023-03-15, 01:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 299 of 884, by KuroHouou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Marmes wrote on 2023-03-15, 01:16:

you can use any DMA from 0 to 3

I use 1 for the 8 bit DMA and 5 for the 16 bit and that works.. You can't actually set a DMA of 0-4 for the 16 bit, its only 5-7, at least that's what Duke3D allows.

So two errors/issues left.

1. No music from GUS in Windows DOS mode.
2. Maybe just a notification issue and not really affecting anything, but orphinit says it can't reset the SB DSP when run.. again doesn't seem to affect anything now though.