VOGONS

First post, by jaskamakkara

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

First off, I have always been a duffer with sound card configurations in old Windows installations - I simply don't get it. This is the main reason why, I suppose, I cannot get the sound in The Dig to work on my 98SE machine.

I have a Creative Live! SB0060 sound card, with the drivers installed from this forum post. Question - are these the so-called VxD drivers? I replaced the WDM drivers I had before with these since I heard it might help? Anyway, when I start the game I go to sound configuration utility and it can't detect my hardware. I try to manually set using different configs but nothing works. My sound card should emulate a SB16 since the options are in the Device Properties. If I select SB16 in The Dig's config then it keeps the IRQ and other stuff greyed out and won't let me set them, even though I know what they should be since they are in the Device Properties, like I mentioned.

Any help here? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks

Reply 1 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have a SET BLASTER environment variable specified in your Autoexec.bat file?
I presume you are running The Dig from a Windows command prompt and not from MS-DOS mode?

Reply 2 of 4, by jaskamakkara

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Where do I find the Autoexec.bat file in 98SE?

I am running the game by opening the Dig.exe file off the CD-ROM. I assume this is the correct way.

EDIT - Sorry I am now running the game by clicking the Dig16mb.pif file in the root of the CD-ROM, I think this is the intended method of launching the game. Makes no difference to my sound problem, however.

Just to be clear, if I select SB16 in the Dig configurator thing, it greys out the IRQ and DMA inputs for some reason and won't let me test it. I can test all the other options but I don't get any sound.

Reply 3 of 4, by jaskamakkara

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK I found the Autoexec.bat editor in the MSConfig utility. The only line in there is SET PATH....... something to do with ATI. Should I include something about the SB then? I was under the impression this wasn't necessary and the Auroexec.bat file in 98SE could be left empty?