VOGONS

First post, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

i would like to ask if someone has experience with Atari ST and Roland CM500 on gaming. There are some games on Atari ST that support Roland MT32. From the moment that Roland CM500 is like a Roland CM32L, can these games sound correctly on Atari ST? There are also some games that support midi music (not Roland MT32 necessarily ). Can these games run correctly with the Roland CM500 in General Midi (SC55) mode?

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 1 of 4, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am an Atari user, but this isn't really Atari specific, it'd be the same answer for any other MIDI game on any MIDI computer. If a game is programmed to output MT32 specific (like the Sierra games on the ST) They will only sound correct on either a real MT32 or something that can emulate MT32 (for instance an SC-55 has an MT32 emulation mode) If the MIDI device has no MT32 emulation, you'll still get sound, but it won't be authentic to how it was 'meant' to sound, like the drums sounding different or synths etc. Hope this helps.

Reply 2 of 4, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. There's no problem with that. I will probably try both (Roland CM500 and a Real Roland MT32-old version) with my Atari. I am still in the beginning, I bought an Atari STF two months ago. I don't even have a Sierra Online game. I like the fact that the Atari has midi ports and it doesn't require a midi interface for the connection of the Roland as the other computers.

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF

Reply 3 of 4, by mzry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dimitris1980 wrote on 2022-08-04, 12:40:

Ok. There's no problem with that. I will probably try both (Roland CM500 and a Real Roland MT32-old version) with my Atari. I am still in the beginning, I bought an Atari STF two months ago. I don't even have a Sierra Online game. I like the fact that the Atari has midi ports and it doesn't require a midi interface for the connection of the Roland as the other computers.

Then can I do you a massive favor and point you to this: http://www.happydaze.se/scummvm-lite-atari/

The genius behind this software is Agranlund. He refined and reprogrammed the ScummVM engine to run amazingly well on an 8mhz Atari ST! This also means games like Monkey Island can output MIDI, where the original Lucas Arts game itself didn't output MIDI at all (can you believe that they didn't add that feature on a machine that had native MIDI ports?!?!) Anyhow, with Scumm-ST you're golden.

Reply 4 of 4, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mzry wrote on 2022-08-05, 09:39:
Dimitris1980 wrote on 2022-08-04, 12:40:

Then can I do you a massive favor and point you to this: http://www.happydaze.se/scummvm-lite-atari/

The genius behind this software is Agranlund. He refined and reprogrammed the ScummVM engine to run amazingly well on an 8mhz Atari ST! This also means games like Monkey Island can output MIDI, where the original Lucas Arts game itself didn't output MIDI at all (can you believe that they didn't add that feature on a machine that had native MIDI ports?!?!) Anyhow, with Scumm-ST you're golden.

Yes, i have seen some info in the past regarding the Atari ST and ScummVM. It is really great. In the future, I would like to install a hard drive, maybe an ultrasatan. Regarding the memory, I have read that for the installation of 4MB on this model (Atari 1040STF), you need to do some soldering. I never had done or tried soldering so i don't know how to do it

I agree with Monkey Island and the midi sound. Generally, it's a pity that Roland and midi sound is supported on so many dos games. The other computers like Atari ST, Amiga, and Macintosh have few games, unfortunately, especially from Sierra Online. But as you say the Atari computers have already midi ports, they should have more games supporting Roland. And it fits so well with the Atari computers.

- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF