VOGONS

First post, by DeathRabbit679

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently threw one of these OPL3-SAx cards in my pentium 1 build to complement the sb16 I had in there. It seems great for the most part and ultimately, I plan on using it for general midi once my dreamblaster gets in, so this is not a huge issue, but I have noticed in the Doom games occasionally it seems like it will replay notes in the wrong the spot when it's operating the OPL3 as sound blaster music. It's particularly apt to do it if I'm pressing a lot of keys, like running, strafing, and firing at the same time. This occurs in both 95 and DOS mode. Other than that, the open OPL sound is better on the YMF card than the SB16, but since there's so many doom engine games, 😒 . Anyone run into this, because I can't really find anyone complain about this? Most seem to sing the praises of these type of cards.

Reply 1 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is strange indeed but it could be a speed issue. You can try to add one or more steps to "8bit recovery time" in chipset settings in BIOS, it may make teh difference.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 3, by DeathRabbit679

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, set it as high as it could go, no luck. Oh well. My original plan was to primarily use the ymf719 card almost everywhere and only fall back to sound blaster 16 when I had to, I'll probably just switch gears and use it for general midi only, no big.

Reply 3 of 3, by DeathRabbit679

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay I just spent the last half an hour using the chaos theory of troubleshooting. Finally, for no good reason at all, I flip-flopped the IRQs, dma, and addr with the sb16, and suddenly, life is now good. I still can't say I understand the problem, but moral of the story, if your yamaha card starts doing weird things with sound blaster music, do IRQ tetris and maybe you'll get lucky haha.