VOGONS

Same Card?

Topic actions

First post, by Soap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

They look the same component wise, seem to have same markings but are they the same?

I lost an Auction as I wasn't prepared to go past £45, the card was described as "Audican 32 Plus YMF718-S". Anyway I offered another seller £20 including delivery for what appeared to be the same card described as "Yamaha OPL YMF719B-S LWHA151A00 A151-A00" and they accepted.

Are both these cards Audican 32 Plus cards?

Attachments

Reply 2 of 7, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Audican cards don't have second oscillator soldered AFAIK. Other than that, it's a generic PCB design for a bunch of Yamaha 718/719 OEM cards.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 7, by Soap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-08-29, 19:07:

Audican cards don't have second oscillator soldered AFAIK. Other than that, it's a generic PCB design for a bunch of Yamaha 718/719 OEM cards.

Oscillators being the two silver things to the far left? If so the card advertised as Audician was not an Audician?

Reply 4 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Audicians were all still Labway made cards, and there are many flavors according to the box, depending on what was ticked on the side 🤣.

When the YMF71x card is mithout second crystal, the 32 and 48KHz sample rates are both wrong (way too high pitched) as 33.8688MHz crystal the card absolutely requires is also made to feed the secondary 24.576MHz crystal, leading to this wrong pitch. The cards should always have both crystals installed, but there are plenty that only have one of them.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 5 of 7, by Soap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2022-08-29, 20:09:

The Audicians were all still Labway made cards, and there are many flavors according to the box, depending on what was ticked on the side 🤣.

When the YMF71x card is mithout second crystal, the 32 and 48KHz sample rates are both wrong (way too high pitched) as 33.8688MHz crystal the card absolutely requires is also made to feed the secondary 24.576MHz crystal, leading to this wrong pitch. The cards should always have both crystals installed, but there are plenty that only have one of them.

So the card on the first picture that has two crystals? Looking at the picture does it appear to be good selection?

Reply 6 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, it does, and it is the typical YMF71x card. Nothing awesome but it does its job (I made a YMF71x card that gets all out the chip but there's some time until it becomes available again).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 7, by Soap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2022-08-29, 21:22:

Yes, it does, and it is the typical YMF71x card. Nothing awesome but it does its job (I made a YMF71x card that gets all out the chip but there's some time until it becomes available again).

I'm just truly fed up with the Creative mine field I mean find the right version of each model, oh and the prices too, £20 for this seemed too good be true so probably is moment.

Will be interesting stick a wave table on this and compare to my AWE 64 gold on another system.

Thanks for help.