VOGONS

First post, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i'm using a CT4760 with the liveware 3 drivers+sbw9xup, and for some reason reverb is listed as "non-mappable", while chorus is mapped to CC93 by default. is there any way to fix this? turning on the reverb for the entire output does work but really doesn't cut it as i would have thought the EMU10k had the ability to set reverb per MIDI channel.

oddly enough their "s/w synth" does have some kind of reverb, though i'm not sure if that's done in realtime or baked into the samples...

Reply 1 of 11, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
auron wrote on 2022-08-30, 04:10:

i'm using a CT4760 with the liveware 3 drivers+sbw9xup, and for some reason reverb is listed as "non-mappable", while chorus is mapped to CC93 by default. is there any way to fix this? turning on the reverb for the entire output does work but really doesn't cut it as i would have thought the EMU10k had the ability to set reverb per MIDI channel.

oddly enough their "s/w synth" does have some kind of reverb, though i'm not sure if that's done in realtime or baked into the samples...

In this context "not mappable" means that reverb is always available at CC#91, you cannot change that. In case of chorus you can either map it to CC#93 or set it to "not MAPPED" state. If you set chorus to not mapped state then you can assign another SB Live effect to another Midi controller (e.g. Distortion to CC#94). Otherwise only reverb and chorus are available at CC#91 and CC#93 respectively.
In order the above described setup to work with SB Live HW synth(s) you have to set reverb and chorus effect levels to a non-zero percent (e.g. to 50%) at the Master tab of EAX control panel (next to the MIDI tab where you mapped chorus to CC#93). Then if you do not want to hear constant reverb and chorus effects at other sources (e.g. Wave/Directsound) you have to set reverb and chorus to 0% at all other sources at the Source tab of EAX control panel. This way reverb and chorus will be Midi CC controllable at each Midi channel. The max value( 127) of CC#91 on each Midi channel means the percent level that you set previously on the Master tab of EAX control panel.
You can try if it works or not with my Midi player. There is a virtual piano on the interface and you can find reverb and chorus knobs below the piano keys.
https://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer
direct download:
https://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_611.zip

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 2 of 11, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SB Live will allow per-channel effects on MIDI input. Otherwise, for MIDI output from players, you can adjust the global effects.

On WinXP, you could use a virtual midi cable like Loop-midi to send MIDI to the SB Live MIDI input.

For Win9x, a Live drive or a card like in this post Soundblaster live! - how do you test it's "MIDI IN"? will be needed for MIDI input.

In the Ensoniq pci soundcards, which use the same s/w synth engine as SB Live s/w synth, you can enable/disable reverb. I don't remember if the SB Live exposes those controls but you can check the driver properties.

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 3 of 11, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote on 2022-08-30, 07:09:
In this context "not mappable" means that reverb is always available at CC#91, you cannot change that. In case of chorus you can […]
Show full quote
auron wrote on 2022-08-30, 04:10:

In this context "not mappable" means that reverb is always available at CC#91, you cannot change that. In case of chorus you can either map it to CC#93 or set it to "not MAPPED" state. If you set chorus to not mapped state then you can assign another SB Live effect to another Midi controller (e.g. Distortion to CC#94). Otherwise only reverb and chorus are available at CC#91 and CC#93 respectively.
In order the above described setup to work with SB Live HW synth(s) you have to set reverb and chorus effect levels to a non-zero percent (e.g. to 50%) at the Master tab of EAX control panel (next to the MIDI tab where you mapped chorus to CC#93). Then if you do not want to hear constant reverb and chorus effects at other sources (e.g. Wave/Directsound) you have to set reverb and chorus to 0% at all other sources at the Source tab of EAX control panel. This way reverb and chorus will be Midi CC controllable at each Midi channel. The max value( 127) of CC#91 on each Midi channel means the percent level that you set previously on the Master tab of EAX control panel.
You can try if it works or not with my Midi player. There is a virtual piano on the interface and you can find reverb and chorus knobs below the piano keys.
https://falcosoft.hu/softwares.html#midiplayer
direct download:
https://falcosoft.hu/midiplayer_611.zip

thanks for the explanation, it does mostly work as described, though one discrepancy i've noticed is that this doesn't seem to fully work on a percentage basis because reverb is still affected by the master reverb percentage even when all tracks in a MIDI file have cc91 set to 0. also as suspected turning off reverb for wave/directsound does mean losing EAX effects in games, but i suppose making some seperate profiles would make switching easier...

Reply 4 of 11, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
auron wrote on 2022-08-31, 03:22:

thanks for the explanation, it does mostly work as described, though one discrepancy i've noticed is that this doesn't seem to fully work on a percentage basis because reverb is still affected by the master reverb percentage even when all tracks in a MIDI file have cc91 set to 0. also as suspected turning off reverb for wave/directsound does mean losing EAX effects in games, but i suppose making some seperate profiles would make switching easier...

1. Make sure you selected the SB Live HW Synth (A/B). The HW synth's reverb level should not be affected by the Master reverb unless the Midi channel sets CC#91 to bigger than zero. Here is a demonstration video about this behavior. As you can see/hear if CC#91 is zero there is no difference in sound regardless of the Master reverb level:
https://youtu.be/mH8nKb8pZl8
2. Yes, for gaming/EAX you should use a different preset.

Reply 5 of 11, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

well i've retested it using the virtual keyboard that came with the liveware disc, and when the master reverb is set to 100%, there's clearly a lot of reverb even when cc91 in the keyboard window is set to 0. when set to 127, there's a bit of additional reverb. same behavior across A and B. i'm not really sure if something is wrong on my end, or maybe you aren't using the liveware 3 drivers under 98se?

Reply 6 of 11, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
auron wrote on 2022-09-01, 02:22:

well i've retested it using the virtual keyboard that came with the liveware disc, and when the master reverb is set to 100%, there's clearly a lot of reverb even when cc91 in the keyboard window is set to 0. when set to 127, there's a bit of additional reverb. same behavior across A and B. i'm not really sure if something is wrong on my end, or maybe you aren't using the liveware 3 drivers under 98se?

I'm using the latest LiveWare 3 drivers that was available in 2001 for my card:

sblive_win9x.png
Filename
sblive_win9x.png
File size
63.8 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Other effects like chorus work the same way on your system or the problem is reverb specific?
I mean if you set e.g. chorus to 100% on Master tab and set CC#93 to zero on the virtual keyboard you still hear strong chorus effect when you play the keys on virtual keyboard?
You should also try a different soundfont and/or instrument for testing. Some SF2 soundfonts set strong default reverb effect to some instruments that is independent from the CC#91 value.

Reply 7 of 11, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yes, chorus behaves in the exact same way. and it's definitely not the soundfont because when master reverb/chorus is set to 0, the sound is dry as one would expect.

my listed emu10k1.vxd version is 4.11.01.0711 dated 1998-1999, which is weird since i know that sblw9xup (messed up the name earlier) is installed as otherwise EAX in diablo ii wouldn't work. a quick search gave this topic, which suggests that there's a different liveware 3.0 version that shipped with the platinum card. i'm pretty sure i just used the CD from vogonsdrivers and then applied sblw9xup...

patches notes from creative (file dated may 2, 2000):

This is latest driver update for Sound Blaster Live! Series of audio cards for users running on Windows 95 and 98 only. This release includes:

Updated version of Surround Mixer 1.0 and AudioHQ.
1024-voice software MIDI synth for Sound Blaster Live! (Option to select up to 1024 software voices)
Improved support for Occlusion and Obstruction effects in EAX2.0

software synth does show 1024 voices so i think this is the version i have. if the supposed platinum liveware cd is newer than this, maybe they altered the reverb mapping behavior there?

Reply 8 of 11, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
auron wrote on 2022-09-01, 18:27:

...shipped with the platinum card....

wich cards are "platinum" ?
I always thought "platinum" is a standard LIVE! card with the Live! Drive included in one box...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 9 of 11, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the cards were revised for 5.1 output (earlier ones, like mine, have 4.0 output with crossover support in the driver afaik), and those 5.1 platinum cards are supposed to come with a different liveware 3.0 CD.

Reply 10 of 11, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
auron wrote on 2022-09-01, 18:52:

the cards were revised for 5.1 output (earlier ones, like mine, have 4.0 output with crossover support in the driver afaik), and those 5.1 platinum cards are supposed to come with a different liveware 3.0 CD.

5.1 cards should not automatically be platinum cards (if they were sold without Drive).
There are also platinum Sets before the 5.1 was released (came with Live Drive (I) and Live Drive II).

Here is a topic where i collect everything about the different versions of the Drives creative sold in Platinum sets. Different versions of Live Drive?

Here are some of my Live! cards.
The only ones i have thats say "5.1" or 5.1 digital" are SB0100 and SB0220.
And the "5.1 digital" doesnt even have the connector for the Drive to make it "platinum".

2022-08-11 15.39.53.jpg
Filename
2022-08-11 15.39.53.jpg
File size
841.41 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Thats the stuff i know.
-------
There is the stuff i dont know :
Are some features only available if an actual Drive is connected?

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 11 of 11, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
auron wrote on 2022-09-01, 18:27:

software synth does show 1024 voices so i think this is the version i have. if the supposed platinum liveware cd is newer than this, maybe they altered the reverb mapping behavior there?

I do not know, but Vogons driver collection has 2 CD images that have the exact same vxd version as my driver has:
https://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=7

sblivedrivers1.png
Filename
sblivedrivers1.png
File size
188.52 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain