VOGONS

First post, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone, I recently discovered that my Sound Blaster Live! 4830's drivers whether .wdm or .vxd always keep my Win98SE from rebooting, hanging at the restart screen, making me force the restart from the front panel's button. I tried different driver versions for that card but it's something between it and Win98 SE specifically.

While it's not that big of a deal, it stops me from being able to restart in MS-DOS mode. I installed this, so I could have the option directly from boot: https://github.com/fonic/windows-98-se-dos-mode

It worked, and I had correct address, IRQ and DMA for my .vxd SB16 emulation drivers already attributed in all games and confirmed working through Windows as I always did before this. However while testing them in DOS mode I noticed that I always have a conflicting IRQ in the games' setups or executables when running them in pure DOS, even though the exact same correct configs work through Windows' Dos Box with no problem at all.

What could be the problem here? Something to do with the new autoexec.bat and config.sys that the program I installed overlaps? It kept .bak files of the older ones just in case. Is there really a conflict here? Thanks for your help

Edit: games tested just in case - Redneck Rampage, Blood, Rise Of The Triad...

Last edited by andre_6 on 2022-09-29, 14:47. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't quite remember, I know you get a dos mode mixer utility but do you also get a diagnostic utility that shows you which resources it's trying to use?

I think I forced mine back in the day in pure dos mode to use different addresses then what windows 98 was assigning due to the same issue, possibly manually editing a config file or just via the set blaster line. This was all back in the late 90's so could be talking crap as well, but maybe have a poke around whats included with the dos drivers?

Reply 2 of 2, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2022-09-29, 10:21:

I can't quite remember, I know you get a dos mode mixer utility but do you also get a diagnostic utility that shows you which resources it's trying to use?

I think I forced mine back in the day in pure dos mode to use different addresses then what windows 98 was assigning due to the same issue, possibly manually editing a config file or just via the set blaster line. This was all back in the late 90's so could be talking crap as well, but maybe have a poke around whats included with the dos drivers?

I'm not that knowledgeable in DOS to be honest, I installed this as it seemed a quick an easy way to solve the DOS accessing issue.

If I edited the config file or autoexec.bat in DOS to change the sound blaster assigning, wouldn't that change it as well in Windows to the same values thus not solving the problem? Thanks for your reply, from what I can now see the thread's title should really be how to assign different DOS and Windows Sound Blaster addresses