VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm using a Labway/Audican LWHA151A00 sound card based on the YMF718-S chip. It is installed on a MS-3131 386 motherboard and the waveteable header has an S2 connected. I have been trying tirelessly to get sound in Windows 3.11 working with this card. Has anyone else run into a similar issue on their 386 or 486 when using the Audican32?

I'm using the Yamaha Windows 3.1 drivers along with the Yamaha setupsa.exe config utility. All sound (midi/FX) works fine in DOS. Midi works fine in Widows 3.1, but when trying to play a wave file or testing the windows sound system files, it yields no sound and no error. I am able to open the Yamaha wave player and load a wave file, but when I press play, there is no progress through the song, that is, the time counter does not move, and thus the song isn't playing. The mixer shows the volume is not muted.

I'm using the default configuration
Sound Blaster
Base I/O: 220h
IRQ 5
DMA 1

WSS
Base I/O: 530h
IRQ 5 (I also tried 7 and 11)
DMA 0

MPU I/O: 330h
Ctrl I/O: 370h
Adlib I/O: 388h
Game Port: 201h

I've checked my other devices to ensure no conflicts, e.g.

Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 LAN adapter is on IRQ 10, I/O 300h (I have also pulled out this card, but didn't help)

AHA-1542CP is on DMA 6, IRQ 15, I/O 134h

I have no multi-I/O card in the system. Graphics is ET4000AX. CPU is SXL2-66. BIOS is MR BIOS for UMC 481/482. IRQ 12 is used by a PS/2 mouse adapter on the keyboard controller.

Note that the Yamaha installer setups SoftGM, which will give an out of memory error when trying to load windows 3.1 on a 386/486. The solution to this error was found here Re: Problem installing Yamaha YMF718-S OPL3 card in Win3.11 - not enough extended memory which basically states to remove DEVICE=VSGM.386 from system.ini and set CPLMPUBoth=1 and DelSoftSynth=1.

Any ideas on how to get wave sound working in Windows 3.1 with this card? Or is this a known unresolvable problem? I've tried the card on a Windows 95 NexGen system to ensure it has no issue. On Tiido's site http://www.tmeeco.eu/TKAYBSC/ he has some mention of

This [the Yamaha drivers I'm using] is what you'll want to use with Win3.x and WfW 3.x, it only works in Enhanced mode. For real-mode you should use SETYMF and Windows' own Sound Blaster, Adlib and MPU-401 drivers.

I'm not sure how to implement his suggestion of using Windows' own Sound Blaster, Adlib, and MPU-401 drivers. I could not locate an example.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 1 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No progress indicator etc. suggests that IRQs are not firing, playback basically not starting. I'm not sure what can cause it, especially when things work fine in DOS.

Windows own drivers you install them from the Drivers applet, manually adding SB etc. drivers and configuring them to the ports the card is using. This assumes no Yamaha drivers are present. I have not actually tried to do such a thing, I have no real-mode installs and I never experienced issues with Yamaha's drivers in enhanced mode.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 3, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There must be some windows 3.1 configuration issue or corruption on my drive because I cannot get any type of sound card to emit sound. Also tried multiple motherboards. I tried an ESS 1868, but all i hear is static when playing a large wave file. When I play some system sounds, I can hear it sort of properly, but there is this weird reverb or echo sound with it. MIDI playback is OK, as is DOS sounds.

Any idea how to tackle this without a reinstall of Windows?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 3 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All I can think of is removing all the relevant entries from SYSTEM.INI file and hoping for the best.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜