VOGONS

First post, by Cadderlik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I have some problems with sound when SB and MPU card are together on motherboard (486 dx2 66, 8 mb, 256 cache, DOS 6.22).

1. I've needed to change my SB config - midi port from 330 to 300. Now I have percfect sound from Roland modules connected to MPU midi card.
2. No sound at all in Willy Beamish game when choose Sound Blaster (settings in dos 220, 5, 1, 5, 300). When choose in install file Roland mt32 sound is OK.
3. Partial sounds in Wolfstein 3d (no sound of taking gold, food, I hear only shoot, enemies and opening door), no music at all (in menu I can see Sound Blaster flashes as active)
4. Many other games under DOS with normal SB sound: DOOM (FX + music ok); Warcraft (FX+music ok); Heart of China (sound, music ok), Eye of the Beholder (sound and music ok).

Any Idea?

Reply 1 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Can you clarify which of the two changes causes the issue:

- changing SB MIDI port from 330 to 300 (without the MusicQuest card present)?
- inserting the MusicQuest card with MIDI address set to 330?

What I'm missing in your story is exactly which MusicQuest card it is, and which IRQ it's set to (if you can set it). The MQX-32M certainly has the option, and an IRQ conflict if it is set to IRQ5 could explain your problems. Generally you want to set MIDI IRQ to 2/9 for max compatibility, but in any event it needs to be different to you SB IRQ.

Reply 2 of 7, by Cadderlik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It is Music Quest MPU clone card from keropi.
The card takes midi port 330, so in SB has to be changed to port 300 or disabled.

Strange is, that many games using SB - sound FX and music are ok, so could be really IRQ coflict?
Maybe Wolf3d and Dynamix Willy Beamish need IRQ7. Because there is no option in setup to set irq in that games.

I have to check what IRQ uses MQ - should be IRQ2/9

Reply 3 of 7, by Cadderlik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello again

More tests done. I figured that FM sound wasnt playing. Unchecking Output boxes in Sound Mixer Control bring back FM sound i Wolf3d, Monkey Island 1, Willy Beamish.

But when I run DOOM with music set as SBawe32 port 300, after exit no sound FM in other games or partially and no sound from MT32 (module is working, see the game). After reset everything works fine again.

My IRQ from sysinfo:
IRQ 2 F000:EF6F [Cascade] BIOS
IRQ 3 F000:EF6F COM2 BIOS
IRQ 4 D166:023c Mouse CTMOUSE
IRQ 5 F000:EF6F LPT2 BIOS
IRQ 6 0440:00B7 Floppy Disk DOS
IRQ 7 0070:06f4 LPT1 Unknown
IRQ8 0440:0052 Realtime Clock DOS
IRQ 9 F000:ECF3 Reserved BIOS

Do you see any conflict? SBawe64 set at IRQ5, MPU pcmidi card set at IRQ2/9

Reply 4 of 7, by Cadderlik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

More tests done:

Changed at irq 7 in aweutil. Now everything is ok.

Only issue stiil present is after playing music in Doom using settings for SBAWE32 and port 300. FX and music in game are ok but after exit, there is no sound at all in other games and mt 32. After reseting system everything back to normal.

So I think doom with these settings for music makes only problem.

Reply 5 of 7, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cadderlik wrote on 2022-10-14, 08:51:

Only issue stiil present is after playing music in Doom using settings for SBAWE32 and port 300. FX and music in game are ok but after exit, there is no sound at all in other games and mt 32. After reseting system everything back to normal.

I have similar issue with my SB32 (CT3670 AWE32). When i start PC everything runs fine with AWE32, but after using other sound cards I have in combo with AWE32 there is no more sound from it.
If I start Cubic Player and then exit, sound is back on AWE32. I also have MQ clone from Keropi in the same PC, but I don't think it's the source of the problem.
It didn't bother me enough to start investigating the problem further, TBH.

Reply 6 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cadderlik wrote on 2022-10-14, 08:51:

So I think doom with these settings for music makes only problem.

IIRC, this is a known issue with AWE cards.

To clear that up, you need to either run AWEUTIL /S to re-initialize the card, or restart your PC.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi