VOGONS

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm currently spec'ing a system build around an AMD K6-2/500 system intended for combined Win 95 and DOS (plus Win 3.11).

The board I am using has a mix of PCI and ISA, so I'm currently deciding on sound card combos that would work in Win 95 and DOS.

At the moment I am thinking:

• Diamond MX200 (or MX300 if I decide to get another) for A3D support in Win 95
  • Gravis Ultrasound Classic or GUS Extreme for GUS supported games
  • Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold

With the GUS Extreme being an option, I'm wondering if the AWE64 might be redundant re: Sound Blaster support.

And in the event of possible hardware conflict shenanigans, I suppose doing different DOS boot configs might be an option?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess you could keep the AWE for the few games that support it? but I'd agree the GUS Extreme has you well covered
You could definitely have multiple configs if you wanted but it should also be possible to have both in the one config, but again not much point really.

Reply 2 of 3, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chinny22 wrote on 2022-10-12, 14:59:

I guess you could keep the AWE for the few games that support it? but I'd agree the GUS Extreme has you well covered
You could definitely have multiple configs if you wanted but it should also be possible to have both in the one config, but again not much point really.

This is why I'm thinking maybe it's better to just go AWE64 for general Sound Blaster duties and use a GUS Classic for GUS stuff.

I would like to be able to use an internal wavetable header as well, which the GUS Extreme lacks.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 3, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd go with GUS Extreme if that's the one with ESS chip (sb, sbpro, gus compatibility) + Awe64Gold (awe, sb16 compatibility) and then you have it all.
And you don't need different boot options, can have them both initialized at the same time.