VOGONS

First post, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone, I'm working on an early 2000s XP machine without on-board sound. It's a 440BX system with a 1.4GHz Celeron and 1 AGP, 3 PCI, and 3 ISA slots. Fast connectivity was more important to me than PCI sound and EAX/A3D, so I've used the PCI slots for an ATA133 card, a USB 2.0 card, and an Intel Pro ethernet card.

I'm left with choosing an ISA sound card. DOS compatibility isn't super important as I have a K6 machine for DOS. Are there any particular ISA sound cards that would be a good match for this system?

These are the ISA sound cards I have on hand:

• SoundBlaster CT2290 - true OPL3 card, it's in my K6 system for now
  • SoundBlaster CT4170 Vibra 16XV - fairly integrated card, CQM
  • Aztech 138-MMSN855 - interesting card with a modem, but not sure how good it is

I would really like an AWE64 gold, I understand that's one of the last and greatest ISA cards, but they're pretty expensive (~$200 USD). Maybe a regular AWE64 (green PCB and much cheaper) would be a good match?

Other relevant threads I read:
Using SBpro and SB16 ISA on WinXP and Win7, possible?
List of ISA sound cards working under Windows XP and Windows 2000

Reply 1 of 9, by Gustavo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cosmic wrote on 2022-10-16, 19:35:
These are the ISA sound cards I have on hand: […]
Show full quote

These are the ISA sound cards I have on hand:

• SoundBlaster CT2290 - true OPL3 card, it's in my K6 system for now
  • SoundBlaster CT4170 Vibra 16XV - fairly integrated card, CQM
  • Aztech 138-MMSN855 - interesting card with a modem, but not sure how good it is

Hi!

CQM sounds very bad with FM music. I once got a SB AWE32 with this chip and couldn´t stand it.
Can´t recommend.

Reply 2 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sound card with 48kHz output is preferable. ISA sound blaster never had it and Aztech most likely neither.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 3 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Windows Slund System (WSS) was 48 KHz.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 9, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-10-16, 20:50:

Sound card with 48kHz output is preferable. ISA sound blaster never had it and Aztech most likely neither.

Jo22 wrote on 2022-10-16, 21:04:

Thanks! I wasn't thinking about the sample rate so that helps narrow the choices down a lot.

I found a post from 2014 on another forum that lists a bunch of ISA sound cards and sometimes includes sample rate.
http://www.oldschooldaw.com/forums/index.php?topic=674.0

I filtered by 48kHz and posted the results here for anybody else looking for these cards. Looks like there's plenty to choose from and some are fairly inexpensive.

ESS ISA CHIPSETS  (Audiodrive Series):
--------------------------------------
ES1869 Controller+Codec 16-bit 48KHz, Integr. OPL3 clone, MPU-401, PnP, dual joystick, Full-duplex, IDE, Spatializer 3-D VBX.

CRYSTAL ISA RELATED CHIPSETS (only the most common):
----------------------------------------------------
CS4231(A) Codec 16-bit 48KHz, WSS Compatible, ADPCM, Full Duplex.
CS4248 Codec 16-bit 48KHz, WSS Compatible, ADPCM, Full Duplex (as CS4231 without pulse code modulation
CS4232 Controller+Codec 16-Bit 48KHz, PnP, SB/SBPro/WSS/MPU-401 compatible, IDE.
CS4236 Controller+Codec 16-Bit 48KHz, PnP, SB/SBPro/WSS/MPU-401 compatible, IDE, Integr. OPL3 clone.
CS4236B Controller+Codec 16-Bit 48KHz, PnP, SB/SBPro/WSS/MPU-401 compatible, IDE, Integr. OPL3 clone, WT digital interface.
CS4237B Controller+Codec 16-Bit 48KHz, PnP, SB/SBPro/WSS/MPU-401 compatible, IDE, Integr. OPL3 clone, WT digital interface.
CS4235 Controller+Codec 16-Bit 48KHz, PnP, SB/SBPro/WSS/MPU-401 compatible, IDE, Integr. OPL3 clone, low cost.

ADLIB ISA SOUNDCARDS
--------------------
MSC Wave Pro 16 AD1848K SoundPort, Breve misc chips, 1MB wave table GM/GS MT32.

ENSONIQ ISA SOUNDCARDS
----------------------
Soundscape S-2000 AD1848KP, Motorola 68EC000, OTTO GM/GS Wavetable 2MB ROM, M-CD
Soundscape Elite AD1848KP, Motorola 68EC000, OTTO GM/GS Wavetable 2MB ROM, M-CD, IDE, ESP daughtercard
Soundscape II: AD1848KP, Motorola 68EC000, OTTO GM/GS Wavetable 2MB ROM, M-CD, IDE, ESP connectors

Reply 5 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-10-16, 20:50:

Jo22 wrote on 2022-10-16, 21:04:

16-bit Aztech cards are compatible with WSS.
So, that Aztech card most likely does support 48 kHz.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 6 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah, back in the day I liked using MSS/WSS in anything that supported it on my Aztechs, the SB modes seemed to offer bug for bug compatibility with reversed stereo and note hanging in a lot of games.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 9, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember I had an ESS ISA sound card on my Duron 800, I later upgraded to a Sound Blaster Live Value PCI. I got a big speed up in many games due to ISA Soundcard bottlenecking the machine.

I would suggest finding a mobo with more PCI slots 😀

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 8 of 9, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Grzyb wrote on 2022-10-17, 00:37:

16-bit Aztech cards are compatible with WSS.
So, that Aztech card most likely does support 48 kHz.

The Aztech ended up only supporting 44.1 KHz :[ oh well. I bought an inexpensive Crystal based ISA card with no frills and simple layout. I'll update with results when it arrives.

mwdmeyer wrote on 2022-10-17, 03:27:

I would suggest finding a mobo with more PCI slots 😀

I wish! I have an interest in mini/baby AT boards lately (I have 4 so far). It's been tough finding 440BX + AGP + more than 3 PCI slots in this form factor. They exist, but I'm happy with the compromise so far.

A couple photos of the Aztech. I think it's kind of ugly. :p

kEsS6cx.png

Under Windows:

pbThhfp.jpg

Reply 9 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yah, I have this one I think (Model numbers tend to scramble in my head) https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/pcpart … bxb847d-35-8847 with just the 3 PCI, haven't found a way to get a PIII going on it yet. It's very anchored in PII era for a BX... guess I could screw around with BIOS from other boards or something. Not playing in this era at the moment though.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.