VOGONS

Anybody tried this with your MT-32?

Topic actions

First post, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHevd3JL4go&l … wTxJnt1&index=5

Now, MT-32 was known for notoriously sounding "bad" in Doom and other games originally made for Sound Canvas.

With this General MIDI patch I have to say I just might prefer this sound over the original Sound Canvas rendition. If anything, it sounds fresh.

That uploader has playlists with other games like the first Doom game and Duke 3D if you want to hear more.

Anyone wanna try this on your real MT-32?

Reply 1 of 23, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I see the subject of GM patch on the MT-32 has been mentioned on the forum before. As for the videos that person cranked up the reverb in their Munt, which admittedly does sound great. I'm just not sure it would be possible in real hardware.

I've actually set up the Munt system driver and playing Doom in DOSBox -> Munt, sounds epic.

Reply 2 of 23, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doom is a perfect choice for this since the MUS format used internally by Doom only uses 9 channels so a single MT-32 is enough.
But for other GM games (Duke 3D, Warcraft etc.) you actually need two MT-32 's with special partial->channel associations so other channels used in GM can also be heard.
Unfortunately you cannot do this with the standard Munt driver for Windows. You either need 2 real MT-32's or use Munt VSTi.
Here is an example how it worked with early versions of Munt VSTi (in newer versions full 16 GM channels are supported in 1 instance)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV8sF_K4iP0

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 3 of 23, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've always scrolled past mentions of it, but never bothered to dig further since I have GM modules as well. But listening now, gotta say it's a pretty cool option to have if you only have an MT-32, even with the limitations.

I'm currently configuring a 386SX system that will have no sound card, just an MT-32 and probably a Covox on the LPT. So maybe I'll finally have a reason to try this, if I run across any super old GM games.

Reply 4 of 23, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is a demonstration video about how newest Munt VSTi and dual synth mode work with DosBox + Duke Nukem 3D. As can be seen on FSMP's channel visualization dialog you really need 2 synth instances since channels 9, 11-16 are actually used.
https://youtu.be/w5dj13kRdP8

Reply 5 of 23, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2022-10-27, 07:26:

But listening now, gotta say it's a pretty cool option

IMO it sounds better than OPL3. And I own a real YMF262 card, it's subjective of course, it's down to personal preference.

Reply 6 of 23, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If someone has two real MT-32's and wants to try a dual synth GM setup:
1. Send the MT32_GM_Mode.syx to both synths.
2. Only to the 2nd synth you should also send MT32_Ch_9_11-16.syx

This way the 1st synth will listen to channels 1-8, 10 and the 2nd synth to channels 9, 11-16.
Then you can daisy chain the 2 synths since the channel layouts are mutually exclusive.
Be aware not to play MT-32 games or send MT-32 reset messages after the setup is ready. But you can play any GM/GS games or Midi files since GM/GS SysEx messages are not interpreted by MT-32 so the setup remains intact.

I have attached both necessary syx files.

Filename
MT32_Dual_GM.zip
File size
6.69 KiB
Downloads
55 downloads
File license
Public domain

Reply 7 of 23, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
r00tb33r wrote on 2022-10-27, 05:53:

As for the videos that person cranked up the reverb in their Munt, which admittedly does sound great. I'm just not sure it would be possible in real hardware.

In theory it should as long as the source MIDI isn't overriding the reverb on the MT-32. Of course, one could always just add an external reverb unit to the signal chain and then have full control over whatever reverb they wanted.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 9 of 23, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-10-27, 12:42:
r00tb33r wrote on 2022-10-27, 04:10:

Yeah ok

How?

Download "PlayMID" and "MT-32 to GM" from
https://www.midimusicadventures.com/queststud … urce/utilities/

and extract any .zip where appropriate

then under DOS with your MT-32 connected:

mt2gm
playmid mtgm.mid
playmid mtr-stnd.mid

(mt2gm is a self-extractor that will extract those .mid files)

then run your GM game such as Doom.

I have tested the above.

Hey man, you're local to me!

Last edited by r00tb33r on 2022-10-28, 07:56. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 10 of 23, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-10-27, 11:48:
r00tb33r wrote on 2022-10-27, 05:53:

As for the videos that person cranked up the reverb in their Munt, which admittedly does sound great. I'm just not sure it would be possible in real hardware.

In theory it should as long as the source MIDI isn't overriding the reverb on the MT-32. Of course, one could always just add an external reverb unit to the signal chain and then have full control over whatever reverb they wanted.

I guess there are "set reverb" commands, I'm just not versed in that. There might be a user-friendly interface that will let me do that. I guess I'll play with that when I have me a real MT-32.

Reply 11 of 23, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2022-10-27, 07:07:

Doom is a perfect choice for this since the MUS format used internally by Doom only uses 9 channels so a single MT-32 is enough.
But for other GM games (Duke 3D, Warcraft etc.) you actually need two MT-32 's with special partial->channel associations so other channels used in GM can also be heard.

Yeah, the thought of extending out mt32-pi to more channels did cross my mind. But seeing that MT-32 isn't really a GM device still I'm not sure that juice is really worth the squeeze or if it otherwise makes sense to do, being only a crappy imitation at best. I'm thinking if you need more than 9 channels then just use a Sound Canvas...

But yeah, your way with two MT-32s is a cool party trick.

Falcosoft wrote on 2022-10-27, 10:41:

If someone has two real MT-32's

They should totally give me one. 😛

Reply 12 of 23, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
r00tb33r wrote on 2022-10-28, 07:13:
Download "PlayMID" and "MT-32 to GM" from https://www.midimusicadventures.com/queststud … urce/utilities/ […]
Show full quote
r00tb33r wrote on 2022-10-27, 04:10:

Yeah ok

How?

mt2gm
playmid mtgm.mid
playmid mtr-stnd.mid

I have tested the above.

so before you responded I ended up trying the "DUMP" utility located on that page in conjunction with the SYX file falcosoft posted and it sounded pretty good - it this method going to produce different results?

Reply 13 of 23, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-10-28, 12:33:
r00tb33r wrote on 2022-10-28, 07:13:
Download "PlayMID" and "MT-32 to GM" from https://www.midimusicadventures.com/queststud … urce/utilities/ […]
Show full quote

Yeah ok

How?

mt2gm
playmid mtgm.mid
playmid mtr-stnd.mid

I have tested the above.

so before you responded I ended up trying the "DUMP" utility located on that page in conjunction with the SYX file falcosoft posted and it sounded pretty good - it this method going to produce different results?

Had to test. Yes, MT32_GM_Mode.syx by Falcosoft does the job.

So you like the sound?

I also tried it with Heretic but that was a miss for me, granted most devices don't sound great in that game, there are only a few soundfonts that I like with it, otherwise OPL3 is better for that one.

Need to try more GM games.

Reply 16 of 23, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
r00tb33r wrote on 2022-10-29, 02:44:

I also tried it with Heretic but that was a miss for me, granted most devices don't sound great in that game, there are only a few soundfonts that I like with it, otherwise OPL3 is better for that one.

Bit of a derail, but IMHO the best module for Heretic is the Roland JV-1010.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 17 of 23, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-10-29, 04:34:
r00tb33r wrote on 2022-10-29, 02:44:

Bit of a derail, but IMHO the best module for Heretic is the Roland JV-1010.

Huh, thanks for the tip! I gave it a listen and it's a solid choice, if there's ever extra cash burning a hole in my pocket I might pick one up to grow my MIDI pile.

IMO the default patch set for Ultrasound sounds great in that one, with just one caveat, it's probably not the same instrument mapping as DMX normally would... As if there's anything normal about DMX's mappings.

Reply 18 of 23, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2022-10-29, 03:11:
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-10-29, 02:50:

So far I've tried doom and raptor, both sounded good to me

With 2 MT-32 units ?

If so, could you share some recordings ?

no sorry, I just have a single one

Reply 19 of 23, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
r00tb33r wrote on 2022-10-29, 05:07:

Huh, thanks for the tip! I gave it a listen and it's a solid choice, if there's ever extra cash burning a hole in my pocket I might pick one up to grow my MIDI pile.

Just as a heads up, there is one caveat with the JV-1010. It has an annoying note delay issue where if program changes are sent the same time as MIDI notes, it will delay the playback of the notes. It seems to be primarily an issue with multiple program changes at the same time.

This is typically noticeable at the beginning of MIDI tracks as often the program changes messages coincide with the opening notes, so get this weird timing delay right at the start of the track. This issue is also present in the XV line of Roland modules, albeit there is less of a delay.

It's the one thing that IMHO keeps the JV-1010 from being the perfect General MIDI module. Otherwise the GM soundset in the JV-1010 is the best of all the GM modules I've used (probably close to 30 at this point).

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build