VOGONS

First post, by kahuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

Back in the day I had a 486DX/33 with a SB16 combo that came with a 2X CDROM unit (all Creative branded). So, that's my "previous experience" if you wish.
Now that I'm a grown up (or at least that's what my wife tells me), I wanted to relive those moments but also improve them if I can.

With that in mind, I'm currently building two different retro PCs for my own entertainment 😉
The first one has a Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold CT4390.
My second build has two sound cards: A SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 SB0060 PCI paired with a Yamaha ISA YMF719E that has a wavetable connector.
Both of them are running Windows 98SE and MS-DOS 6.22 (using different disk drives, I just select which one I want to boot from).
I also have purchased a Dreamblaster X2GS, an S2 and a "Chill and Phil" (joystick/midi port interface) to be able to use them with the SoundBlaster cards.

I'm focusing at the moment more on the first build, with the AWE64.
Yesterday, I assembled the "Chill and Phil" and started testing at first just with Doom. I have all the audio options I need on the Doom setup; I can use the internal MIDI synth of the AWE64 that sounds good, but also use the S2/X2GS that sounds even better. I'm really impressed by the small S2! (at least with Doom).

Anyway, I was testing other games I noticed those are not that flexible configuring the audio options. Sierra games (Space Quest, Kings Quest) throw errors like "unable to initialize the sound device" but then kinda work (badly), I think they're picky on everything including the CPU you use.
Others like Monkey Island didn't seem to have any options to configure the sound device. I actually just learnt this morning about monkey.ini in Monkey Island 1, I'll be testing that later today.

The question I have for you folks is that if there is a way to configure the environment so games will use MIDI through the joystick port. Meaning, that I don't have to go game by game changing settings, hoping they will have the ability to use the MPU401 MIDI / joystick port in the first place. Not sure if that's even possible, but I thought it's worth to ask.
Should I be better with something like the Yamaha ISA card and its wavetable connector? I guess, the MIDI output will use the wavetable (S2 or X2GS) I have connected to it without having to do anything specific on per game basis.

Thank you!

Be free!

Reply 1 of 4, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kahuna wrote on 2022-10-27, 18:07:

Anyway, I was testing other games I noticed those are not that flexible configuring the audio options. Sierra games (Space Quest, Kings Quest) throw errors like "unable to initialize the sound device" but then kinda work (badly), I think they're picky on everything including the CPU you use.

Which Sierra games specifically?

Different Sierra games have different types of audio support depending on the age of the game. For games prior to General MIDI, you'll want a Roland MT-32 (or equivalent) and you'll need Intelligent Mode MPU401 support. Or alternatively just use the Adlib / Sound Blaster option for the game audio.

Others like Monkey Island didn't seem to have any options to configure the sound device. I actually just learnt this morning about monkey.ini in Monkey Island 1, I'll be testing that later today.

The original Monkey Island uses command line parameters for different graphics and audio support.

There is a Roland MT-32 add-on support for Monkey Island. Similar to Sierra games, you'll intelligent mode MPU401 to use it. Then to use it, you would use "r" as a command line switch (e.g. "monkey r") when running the game.

The question I have for you folks is that if there is a way to configure the environment so games will use MIDI through the joystick port. Meaning, that I don't have to go game by game changing settings, hoping they will have the ability to use the MPU401 MIDI / joystick port in the first place. Not sure if that's even possible, but I thought it's worth to ask.

AFAIK, there should be a way to set the default MIDI port for the joystick on the AWE64. Typically 330 is the default so if you set it to that, then any general MIDI supported game will be able to use it. If the port is set to something else, then you will need to configure games to use that specific port.

Though it sounds like the issues you are having is with games that don't support General MIDI, which is a different situation. For MT-32 support, for example, you specifically need an intelligent mode MPU401 support and an appropriate device (e.g. MT-32, LAPC-I, CM-32L, etc.) for playback.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 4, by kahuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply.
I have a lot to learn for sure. Definitely, this is a not a "one size fits all" situation.
Saw on this forum that the X2/S2 can be configured in "MT-32 mode", so I'll have to experiment a bit.

Be free!

Reply 3 of 4, by kahuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I've been playing a little bit more with this.

Since I had just a few options for music in DOS games 🤣 I decide to add another one 😈
I assembled a "hat" for the M32-Pi that I can use with Serdaco's DB15 MIDI adapter. I ran Monkey Island (1&2) as well as some Sierra Games and others. Love the results!. See pictures attached, it was cool seeing those messages on the "MT-32".

I also found a post here where it's explained how to use the X2 in "MT-32 mode", I might go that route, not sure yet! It's gonna be tough to choose which option I prefer.
The MT32-Pi has also a SoundFont mode, which I also used with some General Midi games.

By the way, the error I saw on Sierra games that indicated "failed to initialize sound hardware" was due to my CPU being too fast. I disabled both the internal and external cache, and that put my AMD K6-2@500Mhz in something between a 386 and a 486 according to Speedsys, which made these games run fine (DOOM not so much 😀)

Attachments

Be free!

Reply 4 of 4, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kahuna wrote on 2022-10-27, 18:07:

I'm really impressed by the small S2!

Me too! I've heard misc wavetable cards and many soundfonts and just nothing compares to this little thing, both quality wise and instruments balance. Like S2 is on another level. I'm not an audio expert but comparing S2 to other wavetables or soundfonts sounds to me like hearing a difference between 44 and 22 khz. Can't put it better, as I say I'm no expert nor native english speaker. 😁
But anyone into this hobby should have it or at least try it.