VOGONS

First post, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Either I'm doing something wrong or I'm just ignorant, but I constantly have issues with consistent MIDI playback. By consistent, I mean sounding the same every time.

My devices will often end up in an odd state, when they start to totally miss some instruments. I begin to see patterns, like playing back songs in a specific sequence will repeatably cause such errors in subsequent playbacks. Stopping a song in the middle and playing back another one will sometimes cause similar errors. An extreme example is Descent's setup test music, where subsequent playbacks will miss one voice.

These errors happen regardless of the MIDI device. The only solution for this problem I've found is sending a GM or GS reset before I play back another song. This is okay for MIDI players, though not all of them support this. I even started sending a GM reset before I start games, but once started, I can never be sure, whether what I hear is what I was intended to hear.

Is this how it supposed to be? Is there a better solution then sending a GM reset before every song?

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 1 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, that doesn't sound normal.

What hardware are you using to send MIDI to the devices? If the MIDI playback devices all exhibit the same issue, then it sounds like it be a hardware or software issue on the sending MIDI data side of things.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 7, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-11-05, 21:59:

No, that doesn't sound normal.

What hardware are you using to send MIDI to the devices? If the MIDI playback devices all exhibit the same issue, then it sounds like it be a hardware or software issue on the sending MIDI data side of things.

I've tested this on a Creative Vibra 16S connected to an SC-55 and Yamaha YMF719 based soundcards (by Labway, looks like the Audician32) with various daughtercards. As for software, I've used GSPLAY, Windows Media Player, Voyetra AudioStation, Asystem/Midisoft Sound Impression, basically anything playlist capable. In a sequencer like Cakewalk, Orchestrator Plus or MidiSoft Studio everything works without problems. All software was run on Windows 95 or 98.

But I've heard the same problems in tracks on youtube from other people, so I'm not the only one affected.

Reply 3 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Where did you get your MIDI cable and what does it look like ?

Also, do issues only occur on track change or can they happen while a track is playing ?

Furthermore, do issues ever occur while playing a game either during a track or at track change ?

Finally, do you ever encounter issues where a GS or GM reset does not allow proper playback of a track or takes more than one try ?

Reply 4 of 7, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2022-11-05, 22:53:

Where did you get your MIDI cable and what does it look like ?

Can't take a better photo right now:

midi.jpg
Filename
midi.jpg
File size
3.56 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

But this also happens on daughtercards attached via a waveblaster header.

Also, do issues only occur on track change or can they happen while a track is playing ?

Sometimes it's enough to just start playing a track, then chango to another one and that one will sound wrong.

Furthermore, do issues ever occur while playing a game either during a track or at track change ?

Except for the Descent setup issue, I haven't detected any issues during the games. The problem is, some of these are subtle and there aren't many MIDI game soundtracks I know by heart, that I will detect detect them.

Finally, do you ever encounter issues where a GS or GM reset does not allow proper playback of a track or takes more than one try ?

Never had such issues.

Reply 5 of 7, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Descent has compatibility issues with some modules as it sends instrument change data faster than other games. I have never gotten Dreamblaster S2 to work properly with it. Modified MIDI files that send instrument changes a little later work on the S2, but the actual in game MIDIs never do. Also had this issue on some other daughter boards.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 6 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is sort of normal, softsynths etc. usually are reset at start of every new track so they start in same defined state, but these hardware things retain whatever settings a particular track did, and they will carry on to affect the next, and if the next doesn't set everything up, there will be things that won't sound as intended anymore. Some MIDI players can issue explicit resets between tracks to counter these problems. Games are supposed to set things up when they start to a known state but I'm sure that are some that don't.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote on 2022-11-06, 08:08:

This is sort of normal, softsynths etc. usually are reset at start of every new track so they start in same defined state, but these hardware things retain whatever settings a particular track did, and they will carry on to affect the next, and if the next doesn't set everything up, there will be things that won't sound as intended anymore. Some MIDI players can issue explicit resets between tracks to counter these problems. Games are supposed to set things up when they start to a known state but I'm sure that are some that don't.

That is pretty much my take as well .

The barrage of questions I asked was to try to confirm that the MIDI cable wasn't at fault. TBH, it does look like one of the sketchy ones from Ebay, but the results you are seeing do not point to the cable being at fault here.