VOGONS

First post, by Vresiberba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm about to pull the trigger on a AWE64 Value but one thing is rather confusing about AWEUTIL - can I use my MT-32/General Midi with an AWE64? I get the impression that you have to use AWEUTIL to get music at all and that you have to use the 'emulator' function which, somehow gets you MT-32 sound or General Midi. But is this emulated, or is it real through the gameport/MPU-401?

This is purely for DOS.

Reply 2 of 11, by Vresiberba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2022-11-08, 06:36:

If you are using external midi you dont need to worry about emulating midi, just ensure passthrough is enabled. And yes you always need aweutil for it to work at all.

Got it. What and where is 'passthrough' though?

Reply 3 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The AW32/64 doesn't have the same MPU-401 as the SB16/32 has.
- Which wasn't great either, since it was a "dumb" UART type of MPU, anyway. A special serial port with MIDI tinings, in other words.

To make it work with a real MT-32/CM-32L etc. and its games, SoftMPU had to be run (which requires V86 mode).

Instead, the AWEs use a software-based MPU-401, controlled via AWEUTIL.

AWEUTIL also has a cheap MT-32 emulation that uses the fine EMU8000 synthesizer chip (installed on AWEs and SB32).

This MT-32 emulation connects to the software-based MPU-401.
That way, Real-Mode games for DOS can use a fictional MT-32.
Protected-Mode games like MegaMan X or Lollypop won't be able to use it.

However, the fictional MT-32 has another drawback. It's not programmable.
Games like Monkey Island will sound okay, because they use the default programming.
Other games may sound wrong, however, if they try to re-programm the MT-32.

Edit: Or in other words, both the SB16 and AWE32/64 don't have Intelligent MPU-401, as needed by most MT-32 games (those from the 80s, running on 808x/286 PCs in Real-Mode).

To make them run, SoftMPU must be loaded (simulates intelligent MPU-401 in software, then sends processed MIDI information a to dumb MPU-401 hardware).

Or you need a classic MIDI card, like the MusicQuest card or its clones.

Last edited by Jo22 on 2022-11-08, 07:34. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 11, by Vresiberba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-11-08, 07:28:

Right. but I can still use the AWE64 to output midi through the gameport, yes? You just use AWEUTIL instead of SoftMPU to achieve the same result?

Reply 5 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vresiberba wrote on 2022-11-08, 07:33:
Jo22 wrote on 2022-11-08, 07:28:

Right. but I can still use the AWE64 to output midi through the gameport, yes? You just use AWEUTIL instead of SoftMPU to achieve the same result?

Ah, now I understand. You want to know if AWEUTIL provides an intelligent MPU-401, as in MT-32 emulation, but for the physical MIDI connector?
I seriously don't know the answer. But I'm sure some members of Vogons can test this.
Many seem to have at least an AWE64 Gold in their collection, afaikk.

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 11, by Vresiberba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2022-11-08, 07:37:

Ah, now I understand. You want to know if AWEUTIL provides an intelligent MPU-401, as in MT-32 emulation, but for the physical MIDI connector?

Yes, exactly. Or if SoftMPU would work just like on a normal SB16 so I can hook it up to a real MT-32 or a SC-55 or anything connected to the gameport/MIDI connector. I don't want to emulate them.

Reply 7 of 11, by georgel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vresiberba wrote on 2022-11-08, 07:42:
Jo22 wrote on 2022-11-08, 07:37:

Yes, exactly. Or if SoftMPU would work just like on a normal SB16 so I can hook it up to a real MT-32 or a SC-55 or anything connected to the gameport/MIDI connector. I don't want to emulate them.

SET MIDI AUTOEXEC.BAT Question

Reply 8 of 11, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That makes sense to me. I don't know if SoftMPU supports the AWE32/64 directly, sadly.
I also don't know if AWEUTIL can emulate Intelligent MPU-401 for your external MIDI devices..

Maybe someone else can help?

Best I can do is recommending checking out Phil's Computerlab at Youtube.
Phil/Maulwurf1977 did a lot of experiments with the AWE64 Gold in the past.
It was his favorite card, I believe.

The other AWEs are similar in terms of software compatibility.

@georgel Thanks for the link! 🙂👍

//My video channel//

Reply 9 of 11, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dont think question related to intelligent mode, although it is tangentially related.

Of these aweutil options:

/EM Enable MIDI Emulation
/EM- Disable MIDI Emulation
/EM:GM Enable MIDI Emulation using General MIDI
/EM:GS Enable MIDI Emulation using GS Emulation
/EM:MT32 Enable MIDI Emulation using MT32 Emulation

The disable one might have been the passthrough I was thinking of. I might have been thinking of the windows drivers that clearly allow you to output over the uart.

Reply 10 of 11, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you are using external midi you dont need to worry about emulating midi, just ensure passthrough is enabled. And yes you always need aweutil for it to work at all.

No you do not. You must initialize the hardware on the card with AWEUTIL /S but that does *not* load AWEUTIL as a TSR like it does if you enable one of the emulation modes. The external MIDI port works just fine without AWEUTIL TSR

Reply 11 of 11, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2022-11-08, 14:25:

No you do not. You must initialize the hardware on the card with AWEUTIL /S but that does *not* load AWEUTIL as a TSR like it does if you enable one of the emulation modes. The external MIDI port works just fine without AWEUTIL TSR

I meant you always need to run it, whether as TSR or just initialize with /S. My bad.