VOGONS

First post, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As i know Soundblaster pro2 isn't mpu-401 compatible, so no midi sound outputting via Roland sc-55.
But i see advertisement from 92, and there i see sb pro2 with midi cable and sequencer.
Sadly no picture from sequencer.
Can someone post a picture from sequencer?
Or list what sequencer support sbmidi?
Creative maked it?
http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/74f0/au832rp … g.jpg?size_id=d

Reply 1 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When running Windows with proper sound blaster pro drivers installed, any Windows native sequencer will work.

At least some DOS versions of Cakewalk supported the Sound Blaster MIDI interface. There are likely others too.

Reply 2 of 5, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-11-09, 06:40:

When running Windows with proper sound blaster pro drivers installed, any Windows native sequencer will work.

At least some DOS versions of Cakewalk supported the Sound Blaster MIDI interface. There are likely others too.

And what about DOS Games with MIDI Sound?
How can utilize SB Pro2 ?

Reply 3 of 5, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
envagyok wrote on 2022-11-09, 09:28:
darry wrote on 2022-11-09, 06:40:

And what about DOS Games with MIDI Sound?
How can utilize SB Pro2 ?

You can try SoftMPU with the /OUTPUT:SBMIDI command line switch.
SB Pro2 cannot work when GM/SC-55/MPU-401 is selected as output for music in DOS games.
You either need direct support for SB MIDI mode or you need a TSR like SoftMPU.
Otherwise you can only utilize the onboard OPL3 FM synth for music.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 5 of 5, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
envagyok wrote on 2022-11-09, 13:22:

I'm sorry.
It would be nice to have a patch for it, like for the Gravis sound cards.

SBMIDI (MIDI via the sound blaster port 22x) is handled by the same processor (Creative calls it DSP, but it's not a DSP in the classic meaning, just a 8051 that implements most of the card orchestration functions) that also handles digital audio. It can not handle both at the same time, so using the MIDI port of the Sound Blaster or Sound Blaster Pro means that you can't use Sound Blaster digital audio at the same time. That's why it is mostly unsupported in games - those games don't want to give up digital samples.