VOGONS

First post, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm new to using a GM wavetable card in DOS. Can't find any settings about reverb or chorus (I'm using a crystal CS9236 that supports both).
When you play a game with GM music, will it enable reverb/chorus etc depending on if the music author used reverb/chorus when they created the track. I know GM is standardized, so will this automatically be enabled as long as your card is GM compatible.

Reply 1 of 3, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If there's reverb/chorus in the MIDI SysEX, it will be/should be used, if the MIDI hardware supports it. Your particular hardware should be okay for all GM games, but it won't cut the mustard for games that use Roland GS MIDI.

Reply 3 of 3, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-11-09, 15:38:

If there's reverb/chorus in the MIDI SysEX, it will be/should be used, if the MIDI hardware supports it. Your particular hardware should be okay for all GM games, but it won't cut the mustard for games that use Roland GS MIDI.

Reverb/chorus amount ("send level") is typically a MIDI controller, not enabled/altered via SysEx, maybe you're thinking of the MT-32. Of course ,you can set reverb type, level etc via SysEx.

OP: As long as the sound card you have supports reverb and chorus and MIDI controllers 91 and 93, it should be fine. Noctropolis is a game that uses send levels, so good one to test. Of course, even smarter to test OUT of a game with a MIDI, like those from QuestStudios.