VOGONS

First post, by CHiLL72

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I had a day off and I finally started going through the collection of (mostly ISA) soundcards I have collected over the past 15 years or so. Besides a whole box full of Creative Sound Blaster cards (ranging from SB 1.5 to SB AWE64) there were a few Aztech cards and also the card in the photos. I have never been able to find much useful information about it and I don't have any drivers, but I thought I'd put it in a PC and give it a go.
That was a bit of a mistake and it could have done some major damage.... The second I pressed the power button on my (perfectly fine) Intel BX system, there was a flash, a pop, a bit of fire, and some smoke. I turned off the power immediately and hoped that at least the card in the adjacent ISA slot had survived, because that was a Roland MPU-401/AT with a Roland SCB-7 attached to it. Fortunately, there was no damage, other than to the Viva soundcard. One of the small capacitors had given up and exploded, the one marked DC3 in the photo, which looked identical to ones marked DC1 and DC2 before the 'accident'.
Do you think this soundcard is worth salvaging? Does anyone have any useful information about it? Or is it worthless junk and I should throw it away?
If someone wants to rescue this card, please let me know. I'd be happy to send it to someone willing to fix it.

20221115_151320.jpg
Filename
20221115_151320.jpg
File size
1.7 MiB
Views
File comment
Soundcard Maestro Pro Viva Multimedia
File license
Public domain
20221115_151327.jpg
Filename
20221115_151327.jpg
File size
1.48 MiB
Views
File comment
Maestro Pro detail missing capacitor
File license
Public domain

Most of the other soundcards I tested today were still fine and I will start selling off most of them, either through my webpage and/or Amibay.

Last edited by CHiLL72 on 2022-11-16, 09:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Waveblaster MIDI boards: https://waveblaster.nl - online now!

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is some rebranded Aztech card from the looks of it. It should be a pretty good performer with above average sound quality. One of the tantalum capacitors exploded, the others will do so they need to get replaced. I personally would go for it, this shouldn't be a bad card by any means.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 4, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CHiLL72 wrote on 2022-11-15, 21:56:

Do you think this soundcard is worth salvaging? Does anyone have any useful information about it? Or is it worthless junk and I should throw it away?
If someone wants to rescue this card, please let me know. I'd be happy to send it to someone willing to fix it.

That card has a real OPL3 chip on it. So yeah, it is worth saving.
I would gladly take it.

It's an Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro.
It's one of those few cards with compatibility to Disney Sound Source.

Reply 4 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If Raider passes on it for whatever reason I'd also be willing to get it from you and fix it as well.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.