VOGONS

First post, by RetroWolf92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, ever since I first got it fully set up I've been enjoying my SC-55 (primarily with old FPSs like Doom, Duke3D, Blood, etc.), but I've noticed an oddity with the playback of some MIDIs that I can't explain or remedy.
But to best describe it, some MIDIs restart too soon.

For example, "I Sawed the Demons" from Doom is supposed to have a small buffer of silence at the end to smoothly loop back to the beginning, but both my SC-55 and SC-55 Mk.II ignore the silence and restart the midi at the end of the last notes.
Is there something I am missing? I have re-initialized GM and GS, but to no effect.

Reply 1 of 3, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey there!

We'll need a bit more info to figure this out. What OS are you using, what program are you using to play MIDI files, or are you talking about the games themselves?

Reply 2 of 3, by underthebridge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've run into a similar issue where certain music sounded a little off with the MT-32, and ended up being simply related to speed sensitivity.
If you already reset the SC-55, you might try slowing down your system with SetMul.
Another thing to try to rule out the system is output MIDI from a modern computer using a USB-midi interface like Roland UM-ONE.
If the problem is still there then there must be something going on with the SC-55.

Reply 3 of 3, by RetroWolf92

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
underthebridge wrote on 2022-11-18, 22:40:
I've run into a similar issue where certain music sounded a little off with the MT-32, and ended up being simply related to spee […]
Show full quote

I've run into a similar issue where certain music sounded a little off with the MT-32, and ended up being simply related to speed sensitivity.
If you already reset the SC-55, you might try slowing down your system with SetMul.
Another thing to try to rule out the system is output MIDI from a modern computer using a USB-midi interface like Roland UM-ONE.
If the problem is still there then there must be something going on with the SC-55.

Ah, OK!

So I'm running the SC-55 Mk.II (as well as when I ran the original SC-55) on it's standard voltage and amperage, and using an UM-ONE cable to send the MIDI data from my PC to the synthesizer, and then using a stereo L/R to 3.5mm wire plugged into my PCs rear Mic In aux to send the audio back to my PC.

And this is my modern rig, also...