VOGONS

First post, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My L output (White) on the SC-55 is extremely finicky. If the cable is even slightly moved or not caressed perfectly into position I will either get no output or chopped up output. I have verified it's not the cable or speakers by swapping the cables around.

What is the most common cause of this? I haven't take the board out to look underneath but from the top it seems like the entire RCA Input/Output is one single piece soldered into the board. Is this an easy fix/replacement?

Reply 1 of 5, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like bad solder at the connector. It is an easy fix assuming soldering equipment is at hand.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 5, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could also be corroded jack or issue with the volume knob.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 4 of 5, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most likely cause of this is a cracked solder joint. I've had this happen on some of my sound modules. It's an extremely easy fix that just requires reflowing the solder on the joint.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5 of 5, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
infiniteclouds wrote on 2022-11-20, 00:31:

It looks like the RCA Input/Output (4 total jacks) is one piece that is soldered to the board, though ? Only the one port (L Output) has this issue.

There should be at least 3 solder connects for the jacks (left, right and ground). If you remove the board and look at the underside, you should be able to see those on the underside of the board.

And if you post pictures of the board here so we can help make an assessment.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards