VOGONS

First post, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've discovered a new hanging midi bug on my 486 machine. It seems to result from an incompatibility between the motherboard (a Gateway BAT4IP3e https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/anigma-bat4ip3e), the CPU (AMD 5x86 w/ WB Enabled) and the sound card (An Ensoniq VIVO90). Seems to affect the same games as the creative hanging note bug, but games that work on the creative also seem to work fine here. If I disable WB cache on the CPU the midi works as normal. If I swap the CPU with a Pentium OD the midi returns to working as normal. I have tested a trinity and an evergreen upgrade as well as the native AM5x86 and they all exhibit the same behavior.

I've heard some other reports that the VIVO90 is picky with its motherboard -- I wonder now if it is picky with the CPU as well. I've got a S-2000 on order so I'll report back in a week or so to see if this is true of all ENSONIQ cards or just the VIVO90. I'm hoping the S-2000 works since I already have a P1 system so I really don't want to have to leave the POD83 in this PC.

-AN