VOGONS

First post, by drew2020

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ran into an odd issue with Sound Blaster X-Fi PCIe sound card. The card was in a sealed box and came with full installation CD. Card is installed in p5Q Pro-Turbo mb running Windows XP SP3. If the HD Audio front panel connector is plugged into the sound card the rear connectors on the sound card are disabled meaning no audio is coming out. But if the front panel audio cable is unplugged from the sound card the sound card rear connectors work as expected. This is a weird driver issue and not sure how to fix it.
Anyone else experienced similar?

Reply 1 of 3, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember vaguely that an extreme gamer i purchased long ago that the pin out was not standard hd audio pin out. I had to cross reference the pinout on the card to the pinout on my case and rewire the cable.

Reply 3 of 3, by drew2020

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Did some research and found a write up describing the Sound Blaster X-Fi pinout. Write up states that the X-Fi front panel connector header pinout follows the standard 2x5 Intel HD audio Front Panel header pinout. The write up also states that the X-Fi header is not compatible with AC97 or Intel-compatible HD Front Panel audio cable. I understand AC97 but what is "Intel-compatible HD Front Panel Audio"?. I'm using Antec Sonata 2 case and according to the manual the HD audio cable is the standard Intel HD 10-pin connector so that should work with the sound card header but when I plug it in, the sound card rear ports are muted. So it seems that the write up I found is incorrect. There is a pinout conflict between my X-Fi and front panel cable.