VOGONS

First post, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i'm not trying to replace an mt-32/lapc-1 or play any of the handful of games that didn't use sysex commands to program custom instruments. i'm just curious which soundcards had this feature (and how it was implemented) as a matter of record. i know the soundblaster awe32/64 line of cards could use a tsr to load soundfonts that remap to gm, gs or mt-32 instrument presets. as i recall the mt-32 soundfont added 2 new instruments and rearranged the rest from the awe set. (this sort of begs the question of how closely the gm and mt-32 sets match up for non-awe cards...how many instruments in common?)

what other wavetable cards were capable of this feat in dos?

Reply 2 of 17, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2022-12-07, 07:24:

Ensoniq Soundscape VIVO and OPUS series.
Just use mt32.com from their utilities folder.

i did a little reading on these cards and was intrigued enough that i pulled the trigger and purchased a soundscape vivo90db-a tonight. did the original soundscape s-2000 also have a mt32.com utility since it used the same wavetable chip?

Reply 4 of 17, by ViTi95

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yamaha DB50XG, DB60XG and NEC XR385 also have a MT-32 compatible mode (TG300B mode, enabled via MIDI commands). Ok I know those aren't soundcards per se, but can enable any soundcard with wavetable header to be MT-32 "compatible"

Here are multiple recordings I did in the past:

Monkey Island intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtDiKB7jAcI
Monkey Island 2 intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHxESz5QDsU
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crm5Ntu6afA

https://www.youtube.com/@viti95

Reply 5 of 17, by oLdStuffUser

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The original soundscape s-2000 also has the mt32.com utility. I have a spea mediaFX which is the same card.
Gravis Ultrasound also has a tsr like the SB AWE Series. If I remember correctly it was also possible to switch to a mt32 emulation.

The Roland SCC-1 Cards are also able to switch back to mt32 with a Midi File which contains the sysex messages. Feeding the sysex direct to these cards also work.
And as the wavetable part of the Roland RAP-10 is identical to the SCC-1 this should also work there but i did not try that.

Reply 6 of 17, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ViTi95 wrote on 2022-12-07, 09:47:

Yamaha DB50XG, DB60XG and NEC XR385 also have a MT-32 compatible mode (TG300B mode, enabled via MIDI commands). Ok I know those aren't soundcards per se, but can enable any soundcard with wavetable header to be MT-32 "compatible"

i thought about asking about exotic wavetable header cards, but had no idea this functionality was possible with hardware i already knew about. incidentally, what dos program do you use to send the midi commands?

huh, i can't find any db50xg cards for sale for under $500.

Reply 7 of 17, by Schule04

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

TG300B mode on Yamaha synths is for emulating the SoundCanvas. You're thinking of the C/M mode.

Reply 9 of 17, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Schule04 wrote on 2022-12-08, 22:43:

TG300B mode on Yamaha synths is for emulating the SoundCanvas. You're thinking of the C/M mode.

And TG300B mode has an MT-32 compatibility sub-mode similarly to SC-55. You have to set all melodic channel's (2-9) Bank MSB to 127 and the drum channel's (10) Program to 127.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 10 of 17, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

so digging a bit into an exhaustive document online i found the following wavetable daughterboards also have mt-32 modes:

CREATIVE LABS WAVEBLASTER MIDI DAUGHTERBOARDS
---------------------------------------------
Wave Blaster Oki ***, Motorola, 4MB ROM GM/MT-32
Wave Blaster II EMU8000, Motorola, 2MB ROM GM/GS/MT-32

TERRATEC WAVEBLASTER MIDI DAUGHTERBOARDS
----------------------------------------
(in several editions, with Dream SAM9203 or SAM9233/CS9233)
WaveSystem Mini 1MB Wavetable, GM, MT-32 emulation, GS sounds expansion only
WaveSystem 2MB Wavetable, GM, MT-32 emulation, GS sounds expansion only
WaveSystem Professional 4MB Wavetable, GM, MT-32 emulation, GS sounds + Chorus/Reverb MFX

YAMAHA MIDI DAUGHTERBOARDS
--------------------------
DB50XG 4MB GM/XG Wavetable, TG300B mode for GS, MT-32 Mode
DB51XG 4MB GM/XG Wavetable, TG300B mode for GS, MT-32 Mode
DB60XG 4MB GM/XG Wavetable, TG300B mode for GS, MT-32 Mode, has a line in through the Waveblaster connector

however, i haven't found any more non-roland cards with onboard wavetable that sport the feature besides those mentioned here.

Reply 11 of 17, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While addons, the Dreamblaster S2 and Dreamblaster X2/X3 (with latest Dream sound bank) can also do this.

Recordings for X2/X3:

Monkey Island: https://soundcloud.com/user-470084971/monkey-island-intro
King's Quest IV: https://soundcloud.com/user-470084971/kings-quest-iv-intro
Leisure Suit Larry 2: https://soundcloud.com/user-470084971/leisure … t-larry-2-intro

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 13 of 17, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The DOS driver for SBLive and Audigy cards has an option to enable MT-32 compatibility. There's a checkbox in SBEMIXER.EXE which can do this.

Not sure how accurate that sounds compared to the real thing though.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 14 of 17, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i haven't been able to identify any additional cards. the soundscape vivo90 i picked up turned out to be a non-starter as emm386 is mandatory for the tsr. i needed to get an opus or earlier card with the hardware cpu to avoid that requirement or the tsr. apparently the orchid soundwave 32 avoids the requirement as well. the creative awe loads a tsr, but emm386 isn't a requirement.

Reply 15 of 17, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's an MT-32 mapping file for Turtle Beach Tropez/Maui cards, but I never tried it.

Attachments

• Filename
    mauimt32.zip
    File size
    15.58 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 16 of 17, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stanwebber wrote on 2022-12-15, 19:15:

i haven't been able to identify any additional cards. the soundscape vivo90 i picked up turned out to be a non-starter as emm386 is mandatory for the tsr. i needed to get an opus or earlier card with the hardware cpu to avoid that requirement or the tsr. apparently the orchid soundwave 32 avoids the requirement as well. the creative awe loads a tsr, but emm386 isn't a requirement.

There is NOemm TSR in SNDSCAPE utilities folder, but I never use it. EMM386 is normal for me)))

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 17 of 17, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ssnoemm.com looked promising, but it is essentially worthless. running it does not initialize the midi at all and the only digital audio (sbpro2) i could get out of it played at half speed. i read an in-depth review of the vivo90 at dosdays and that guy is reporting the same thing.

ssinit.com is not working out either. not only does it mandate emm386, it insists on loading within the first 4mb of xms which means i can't use my hdd & cdrom caches which i like to size to 32mb. when i try to reserve the first 4mb with xmgr and then release it after loading my device cache, ssinit.com will try to use it, but then reboots the system.

nevermind that i have to use nt drivers for xp which prevent my system from shutting off or restarting now and there's no dos driver package unless you install the win9x drivers which refuse to recognize my card and stop the installation cold without extracting any files from whatever proprietary archive format is being used. when it works the midi is fine, but i've yet to get satisfactory digital audio in windows or dos. i'm at the point where i can thoroughly dis-recommend the vivo90.