VOGONS

First post, by Aeridyne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all.
Been looking around for drivers for the onboard sound for this system for ages and have never been able to find it. Got the system back out today (had totally forgot) and remembered where I was at with it. Basically totally done except for sound.

It definitely has both an ADI and a Yamaha chip in it. Very hard to read the ADI but kinda looks like it says 8198, (198x maybe?)

The Yamaha chip is easy to read, YMF724F-V

I can't find these drivers anywhere. Looks like they came with the Dell version of the Montego turtle beach II sound cards also, which I also cannot find the correct "dell" version of.

If anyone can help with those onboard drivers *(or bonus the Turtle beach also but definitely would like the onboard ones) and preferable dos drivers also if available that would be more than wonderful and greatly appreciated.

Reply 1 of 5, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aeridyne wrote on 2022-12-15, 02:47:

I can't find these drivers anywhere. Looks like they came with the Dell version of the Montego turtle beach II sound cards also, which I also cannot find the correct "dell" version of.

Could it be this one?

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drive … driverid=r20109

Reply 2 of 5, by Aeridyne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That might be one that would work with the Turtle Beach card, I'll file that away for later. Iirc I was having trouble finding a working driver for that one too. Appreciated.

I was trying to find the onboard sound driver though. There is both an ADI chip (its really hard to read but I think I see 98 on there so maybe a 198x), and a Yamaha YMF724 chip.

I'm not sure I've ever seen both of those chips on the same card, I have a Yamaha 724 card here somewhere but I don't think the ADI chip is on it. I can only imagine this could be a funky driver that only Dell had, but its not on the site as all they have is a butt selection for generic T__ series that includes almost nothing useful unfortunately. But yeah, I was looking for the onboard driver which will likely have to come from someone's collection as I don't see it anywhere.

I think its possible that Keenmaster486 may have it, and I messaged him but no response unfortunately 😒

It is the Intel SE440BX motherboard. Intel E139761.

*Also kind of odd, I've tried two different SB16 ISA cards on it, and neither one detects regardless of what IRQ I set it to.

Reply 3 of 5, by Aeridyne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE

Found a fantastic thread that actually has the driver and lots of information, apparently the motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-3 (not sure how to id them based on the barcodes but apparently that's the way to id them.)

Now if I could only get pure DOS mode drivers that would be great. It does add a "legacy" entry in device manager which is really nice to play some DOS games in windows.

Re: SE440BX-3 YMF724F-V 98SE driver refuses to install

Reply 4 of 5, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Aeridyne wrote on 2022-12-15, 22:30:
UPDATE […]
Show full quote

UPDATE

Found a fantastic thread that actually has the driver and lots of information, apparently the motherboard is an Intel SE440BX-3 (not sure how to id them based on the barcodes but apparently that's the way to id them.)

Now if I could only get pure DOS mode drivers that would be great. It does add a "legacy" entry in device manager which is really nice to play some DOS games in windows.

Re: SE440BX-3 YMF724F-V 98SE driver refuses to install

Have you tried unisound?

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 5 of 5, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Legacy entry in device manager is what your after, check what resources (eg IRQ, DMA) and tell your games to use the same port.
Thats to play the games from within windows which is the best option.

Drivers do exist for pure dos (or restart in dos mode as the Yamaha page describes them) and can be found on the Yamaha link in the other post.
http://device.yamaha.com/en/lsi/download/

Unfortunately you'll loose MIDI though which is why playing within windows is the better option.