VOGONS

First post, by zconnect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't really understand how to set this up, but I installed the midi daughterboard correctly, specifically a dreamblaster x2gs, set the jumpers to mpu-401 as opposed to sb-midi, then I selected the ess mpu401 in the midi settings on windows 98, but nothing plays when I try midi files. What am I doing wrong? The x2gs plays music fine as a usb device, so it's not broken, so I'm guessing I set it up wrong.

Reply 1 of 5, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried to unmute all inputs of your sound card or even tried connecting directly to the sound out of the X2GS?

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 5, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had the card set to SB-MIDI, was confused by this myself. Under DOS I had to change the config of the driver to enable the MPU but the Windows 98 driver should take care of that. Wavetable audio is on the AUX input so make sure that is unmuted.

YouTube

Reply 3 of 5, by zconnect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2023-01-03, 08:13:

I had the card set to SB-MIDI, was confused by this myself. Under DOS I had to change the config of the driver to enable the MPU but the Windows 98 driver should take care of that. Wavetable audio is on the AUX input so make sure that is unmuted.

I don't know how to access windows 98 driver settings when I can't find a driver program for the card. I have the mixer program and have made sure that the aux input is unmuted.

Reply 4 of 5, by zconnect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Kamerat wrote on 2023-01-02, 07:51:

Have you tried to unmute all inputs of your sound card or even tried connecting directly to the sound out of the X2GS?

I cannot do this as cables can't fit in the connector due to the case and bracket being in the way.

Reply 5 of 5, by zconnect

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2023-01-03, 08:13:

Alright, I set it to SB-MIDI, and now I just hear really glitched weird sounds when playing midi, in the pattern of the music. Do I need to fix it in the driver program that you can send me for 98?