VOGONS

First post, by Masejoer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Thinkpad T42p here with a fresh install of Windows 98SE. The sound works fine in Windows. I enabled Soundblaster emulation in the device manager settings of the SoundMAX. I'm having two issues:

1. In DOS games in a dos window I can use general midi for music, but not "soundblaster" or "adlib" music. Is this normal? I thought I read that adlib sound should also work at the very least.
2. In Doom the soundblaster effects sound fine. In Duke3D, The soundblaster sound effects sort of "warble" and crackle. I have disabled everything in the 3Com EuSynth app (such as reverb), although I have no idea what this program is for exactly. I have tried different soundblaster types, voice numbers, bitrates, channels, but it still behaves the same - very bad sound effect quality.

Any input from T42 or similar Thinkpad AC97/codec users? Any way to improve DOS-game sound compatibility?

Other notes: I am using aftp1g98.exe and 1ga241ww.exe for the audio drivers. Wacky Wheels music and sound are perfect. Descent doesn't seem to want to work with music or sound. Tyrian midi music works, but sound effects fail to initialize. It's just a mess of compatibility right now. I have a 770Z here, but no hard drive caddy, so limited to my T42p right now.

Reply 1 of 5, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a t42p working at one time and was testing 9x out, but I never extensively tested it. Sb pro compatibility under windows dos box. Adding set blaster variables might help in some games. http://www.rinkworks.com/apogee/s/6.4.2.shtml

You can check what the virtual address resources are in the sb emulation device in device manager and see if you can manually change it if that helps.

I think it is what it is though. I also had a 770x working at one time and I didn't have any problem with sound, however the combination of the screen size and the lack of proper scaling the trident chip has on it made it a deal breaker for me.

Reply 2 of 5, by Masejoer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2023-01-04, 06:44:

I had a t42p working at one time and was testing 9x out, but I never extensively tested it. Sb pro compatibility under windows dos box. Adding set blaster variables might help in some games. http://www.rinkworks.com/apogee/s/6.4.2.shtml

You can check what the virtual address resources are in the sb emulation device in device manager and see if you can manually change it if that helps.

I think it is what it is though. I also had a 770x working at one time and I didn't have any problem with sound, however the combination of the screen size and the lack of proper scaling the trident chip has on it made it a deal breaker for me.

I've tried different addressing and whatnot now - no change.

I'd agree too that the 700 series isn't ideal - the 1600x1200 flexview is the perfect screen for a DOS-9x setup. I have a dock II here - that's less convenient to always use, but has the benefit of using a pci soundcard with the T42.

Just hoping to improve out-of-the-box DOS compatibility, since some games seem to work perfectly fine. Surprised that Duke Nukem 3D has the problem it does - it, and its setup utility, have always been my first go-to for DOS game audio testing.

Reply 4 of 5, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Masejoer wrote on 2023-01-04, 04:53:

I enabled Soundblaster emulation in the device manager settings of the SoundMAX.

But what version of audio driver do you have? I don't have the option in my T42 with 1ga241ww

edit: i see it with aftp1g98, not with 1ga241ww or 1ga239ww

Reply 5 of 5, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After yesterday's tests I confirm the bad emulation. Too bad because it was nice to boot DOS games directly from Windows. And SBEMU on this computer gives problems, games freeze.

The sound chip is an AD1981B, does anyone know if there are alternative drivers to try with?