VOGONS

First post, by _StIwY_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, i'm bashing my head since this morning to how install the recommended VxD drivers on Windows 98 SE, since i have some little crackling noises on some games ( like Blood.....etc ). No problems on Direct3D Windows based games so far.

I downloaded this iso:

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1017

Which installs and it's a 100% smooth installation. But i can't find any VxD drivers, i've already downloaded other drivers packages from vogons but some won't recognize well the sound card, and ended up with some Windows file errors, or no sound at all.

While some others are just an updated version of the drivers, but still i can't find any VxD. Only the WDM driver is installed. Any suggestions ? Thanks

Reply 1 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello.

By default, it will install the WDM driver in Windows 98 and there isn't an option to change it to VxD on a normal installation. Phil's has a guide to ensure that the VxD drivers are installed on the following video (he explains it much better): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-HiLp5p820&t=300s

BTW, since a Build-based game is involved, it will crash when an echo effect happens when the digitized sounds are played with the SB16 emulation.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 7, by _StIwY_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-01-04, 16:36:

Hello.

By default, it will install the WDM driver in Windows 98 and there isn't an option to change it to VxD on a normal installation. Phil's has a guide to ensure that the VxD drivers are installed on the following video (he explains it much better): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-HiLp5p820&t=300s

BTW, since a Build-based game is involved, it will crash when an echo effect happens when the digitized sounds are played with the SB16 emulation.

Oooh, thanks! I couldn't find anything that explains this.
I would have saved myself hours of trying x).

About the crash at build-based games, are you saying I can't play it because it will crash with VxD drivers ?

Reply 3 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
_StIwY_ wrote on 2023-01-04, 17:44:

Oooh, thanks! I couldn't find anything that explains this.
I would have saved myself hours of trying x).

You're welcome!

About the crash at build-based games, are you saying I can't play it because it will crash with VxD drivers ?

There are patches for Duke Nukem 3D and Shadow Warrior, but not for Blood (and other Build-based games). 🙁

You can technically play these games unpatched until an echo effect happens though.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 7, by _StIwY_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, unfortunately i have some games with build-based engine planned to play........ i think it's better to replace this SB Live! with something with more stable drivers, i didn't know there were so much different revisions and drivers back in the days. Why they did such a mess ??

Anyway what's your suggestion an Audigy 2 or a Vortex 2 ? Or something else ?

Reply 5 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Audigy 2 has the same compatibility quirks as the SBLive! with DOS software. Aureal Vortex 2 is better on this regard, but the FM synth emulation is crappy. If Windows games aren't a big priority, going with a Yamaha PCI sound card would be your best shot.

Overall, I rather would prefer going with an ISA sound card unless the computer doesn't have these slots.

Reply 6 of 7, by _StIwY_

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-01-05, 13:05:

Audigy 2 has the same compatibility quirks as the SBLive! with DOS software. Aureal Vortex 2 is better on this regard, but the FM synth emulation is crappy. If Windows games aren't a big priority, going with a Yamaha PCI sound card would be your best shot.

Overall, I rather would prefer going with an ISA sound card unless the computer doesn't have these slots.

Oh! Well i could get a Opti 82C929A with chip Yamaha OPL3, do you think this is fine ? Thanks

Reply 7 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, it is good enough for DOS games.

For better MIDI music, you can add a WaveBlaster daughterboard into it if it has one or use an external MIDI device by connecting it thru the gameport.