VOGONS

First post, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My old hardware was boxed up for 6 years or so, I've moved twice during that time. Just unpacked and trying to get everything working again. Plus I have some new additions.

I have a SIMM in the slot next to the edge of my SB32 (CT3600). I definitely did have it working at one point about 6 years ago, just not sure if my driver installation got broken or of there's a problem on the card. Also don't remember if there was a 2nd SIMM in there, it wasn't in the box but I should have some elsewhere.

The slots aren't numbered. What should the troubleshooting steps be?

I do get sound effects and AWE32 music in Doom.

AWE Control Panel says 0kb memory, and threw up a message about failing to load the .sbk I used to have in there.

Reply 1 of 4, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
r00tb33r wrote on 2023-01-05, 04:42:
My old hardware was boxed up for 6 years or so, I've moved twice during that time. Just unpacked and trying to get everything w […]
Show full quote

My old hardware was boxed up for 6 years or so, I've moved twice during that time. Just unpacked and trying to get everything working again. Plus I have some new additions.

I have a SIMM in the slot next to the edge of my SB32 (CT3600). I definitely did have it working at one point about 6 years ago, just not sure if my driver installation got broken or of there's a problem on the card. Also don't remember if there was a 2nd SIMM in there, it wasn't in the box but I should have some elsewhere.

The slots aren't numbered. What should the troubleshooting steps be?

I do get sound effects and AWE32 music in Doom.

AWE Control Panel says 0kb memory, and threw up a message about failing to load the .sbk I used to have in there.

I'm pretty sure the SIMMs need to be installed in identical (same capacity at least) pairs on AWE32/SB32 cards

EDIT: TBH, I've always successfully used pairs and the manuals I've found are very ambiguous about whether a single SIMM could work .

Reply 3 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The cards definitely need pairs of same sized SIMMs, single one will not work as it only provides 8 bits and the entire 16bit bus needs to be filled. Sort of similar situation as with 386SX vs DX, one needs a pair for its 16bit bus, other 4 for its 32bit.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 4, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it needs pairs.
But I have experienced that after almost 30 years the sockets tend to break when you try to remove the SIMMs.
But 8 MB is a good choice.