VOGONS

First post, by Lazer42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have an SB16 CT2230 which won't seem to play FM and wav sounds simultaneously. I've found the same behavior across multiple games, for example in both Hocus Pocus and Raptor, if I set the music to play through the Sound Canvas and FX through the SB, I get MIDI on the SC-55 and all the wav sound on the SB. If I try to set both FM and wav to use the SB, I get the OPL stuff playing perfectly but no sound FX. Sometimes, in the case of a wav sound that is is a little longer (for example, there is a lightning crack that lasts a few seconds on the Hocus Pocus title screen) the wav can be heard "popping" on for an instant before cutting off and then there is no more sound from it (though the FM continues playing fine).

The one thing I will say is that the configuration is a little unusual. I have also have an Aztech Sound Galaxy card slotted which I use for games which have problems with the Sb16's single cycle DMA clicking. The Sound Galaxy is jumpered to use A220 while the SB16 is on A240. There are some games which will use A220 no matter what, but these are usually older games which would have single cycle DMA problems and which I want using the Galaxy anyways, which is why I have it set that way. Newer games, like Raptor, will allow me to choose all of the ports and channels manually and so I can point them directly at the Sb16 if I like, and I do - but the problem described above is occurring. The Sb16 is otherwise on IRQ 10 (7 is theoretically open but every time I try to set it this way, a conflict is reported and the DIAGNOSE program chooses IRQ 10 when auto-scanning for the card) and DMA 3. As noted, these work perfectly fine all of the games except if you try to use FM at the same time.

What are the odds that this is happening because the Sb16 is on 240 instead of 220? I know that occasionally there are problems with a soundcard on 240 even though it's supposed to be a valid configuration, but I thought that was, as noted, an occasional problem. What other things can I try if that's not the problem?

A second, perhaps related or perhaps not, problem: in Windows 3.1, the FM sounds fairly wrong when playing MIDI files. This is with the MIDI Mapper set up correctly. The thing is that in all circumstances the FM sounds great in DOS and so it's hard for me to imagine that there's anything wrong with the card's FM hardware-wise. I'm less concerned with this as a problem in itself and more as something possibly related to the primary problem I'm asking about.

Note that I think I had this all working correctly at one point so I think it's possible, but I can't figure out how right now.