VOGONS

First post, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I ordered a X2GS and currently have both a CT3910 Awe 32 with no waveblaster connection and an ESS 1868 with WB header. A part of me wants to just use my AWE32 since I believe it has big free MIDI interface and such and compatibility will probably be much more solid. I'll be using it for DOS games but almost exclusively inside Windows 98 SE on a 1 GHZ Dell 440BX system.

If I chose to stick with the AWE32 will there be any MIDI issues I'm missing since it has built in wavetable support? I know I can select in Windows where to direct MIDI sound to. Unsure if it'll be an issue in pure DOS though I'll rarely use that. Would the ESS be a better solution?

If I do use the AWE32, what do I need to purchase to use the X2GS connected to the gameport AND still be able to use a gamepad as well? I saw the ChilandPhil or whatever adapter on the store but it doesn't say it exactly is compatible with the GS model of the card. I k ow this is a lot, just want to minimize headaches that may occur. Thanks!

Reply 2 of 5, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With the appropriate utilities for either card, you should be able to assign resources however you like with minimal trouble in DOS. UNISOUND utility is also an option at DOS level. For Windows all is taken care of; just take a look at the SET BLASTER environment variable details and you will have the resources to assign for DOS games (when/if autodetect isn't working/available).

If WDM drivers are installed on Windows 98SE for the AWE32, make sure you update them to the VXD versions.

The ESS is a good secondary board, or even primary for games which can utilize ESS AudioDrive option.

If you have already poisoned yourself with the sounds of the X2GS, it will be difficult to go back to anything less!

You can check up on the issues you may experience with MIDI on the AWE32 by cross-referencing your board here; they are still possible on your board:

Sound Blaster: From best to worst
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1o0_u- … #gid=1663779470

Reply 3 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
9646gt wrote on 2023-01-13, 23:52:

If I chose to stick with the AWE32 will there be any MIDI issues I'm missing since it has built in wavetable support? I know I can select in Windows where to direct MIDI sound to. Unsure if it'll be an issue in pure DOS though I'll rarely use that.

If you want to use the DreamBlaster X2GS with the AWE32, do the following to make sure that it is used in DOS games within Windows:

1. Open the AWE Control Panel.
  2. Click "Device..." button.
  3. Uncheck "Allow MPU-401 Emulation on this device".
  4. Apply the changes.

This tends to come often when people attempt to use any external MIDI device or wavetable daughterboard on AWE cards. 😉

Would the ESS be a better solution?

It is also a good choice, but 16-bit mixing support in DOS will be limited in comparison to the AWE32 if you care about that. More here: A List of DOS Games with 16-Bit Sound

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 5, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also just remembered that my motherboard only has one ISA...DUH... I will dey e deciding between one card or the other haha. Maybe I'll try the AWE32 and see if I experience any bugs that borther me I guess!