VOGONS

First post, by king_boris

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello I have an AWE64 and for the life of me I can't seem to get the soundfonts(.sf2) to work in games such as doom, blood, etc

I have tried switching the MIDI outputs in the Multimedia Control panel to no avail. Switching between Creative MIDI Instrument Mapper, AWE64G MIDI Synth [620], Creative Music Synth [220] makes no difference in sound in these applications..

I've tried messing with the AWE64 Control Panel as well, though there doesn't seem to be many options other than to load new soundfonts.

The PC is running Windows98SE. When I run these games, I start them from Win98, not in DOS mode. My understanding is that AWEUTIL cannot load sf2 soundfonts and these native DOS games can only utilize only 1MB MIDI - correct me if I'm wrong.

I figured I would ask here as the information I have been able to pull up is conflicting. Some people say this can work whiles other state it does not work.

Maybe I'm crazy and this just doesn't work due a limitation the way they run in a DOS "window"?

Reply 1 of 3, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello.

For DOS programs within Windows, you should select "General MIDI" option to ensure that the music is being played thru the AWE64 Gold. The selected MIDI device in the Multimedia Control Panel setting only affects Windows applications.

AWEUTIL's MPU-401 emulation doesn't work with protected mode games (DOOM, Blood, etc.), should only be used in MS-DOS mode and as you said correctly, it can only load SBK SoundFonts. Lastly, there are games with native AWE support that are capable of loading custom samples but those are uncommon. Here is a list: Re: AWEstruck...

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 3, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gmlb256 is correct. You must select the General MIDI music output option in the setup program of any DOS games you want to run within win9x using soundfonts. If you select the native AWE option, the game has control of what samples the card uses and 9 times out of 10 they just use the samples built into ROM