VOGONS

First post, by 32smooth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,
just some old fart here, trying build himself a retro pc for playing his 90s DOS games, watching 90s graphic demos and enjoying all the flashbacks that may appear.

So I bought an old PC on the local used marked. It consists of :

• J-Bond PCI500C-H2 mainboard
  • Pentium 200MMX
  • 64Megs of ram (I think its EDO)
  • Tseng ET4000 pci gfx card
  • ide cdrom drive
  • 3,5" floppy
  • 17" crt
  • a cheap, sharp edged case that already cost me some blood
  • Sata-ide adapter with an old Intel SSD

The system so far runs fine. I installed Win98SE for fun. No issues.
Then I decided that I only need DOS, so I wiped the hd again and installed msdos 6.22. No issues as well.
I could install the cdrom driver, mouse driver, it all works. Great system so far.

But now to the fail part. I don't get my beloved GUS to work 🙁
I already spent 2 days trying, but without any success.
Back in the days I had no trouble setting up a system like this and I never thought I'd ever need help, but here I am, asking for help.

I have

• gus max (revision 1.8 )
  • gus max (revision 1.8 but broken , burned trace)
  • gus max (revision 2.1)
  • gus non-max (revision 3.73)
  • gus max pnp (revision 1.0)
  • the original installation CDs

I started with the gus max rev. 2.1 and ran straight into issues.
The gravis installation software freezes when trying to configure the card. I appears to find the card, so the 220h and 240h (tried both) base address seems to work.
But as soon as I try a irq setting, it freezes. I tried all irqs available.
Of course I tried countless jumpersettings on the gus, and I tried all the other cards except the pnp and the broken one.
I moved the cards to other slots, disabled all the mainboards onboad devices, factory resettet the bios.
Fiddeld with irq and dma reservation settings in the bios setup of the mainboard, ran memtest86 (no issues).
I downloaded a newer version of the gravis setup tools and tried it. No success.
The non-max version sortof works, the irq test passes but the dma tests fail, no matter what I try (I think this card works a bit better because of the lack of cdrom interfaces).

So, after many hours and 451 reboots I decided to ask for help 😀

Anyone here with a good idea what to do?

Many thanks in advance.

and remember to salt the fries

Reply 1 of 8, by MJay99

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The most simple thing to try and get working these days might be the GUS pnp with jazefox's unisound:
UNISOUND - Universal ISA PnP Sound Card Driver for DOS v0.81b

Setting an ultrasnd environment variable (e.g. set ultrasnd=240,3,3,5,5 and starting unisound afterwards should come up with a usable card, unless IRQ 5 and DMA 3 are taken. You could also try 240,1,1,7,7 or the likes then.
Turning off everything in BIOS (e.g. any integrated Soundcard, serial or parallel ports, secondary IDE, etc.) always is a good idea to start from.

If even this isn't getting you a usable GUS I'd be checking a simple Soundblaster instead, to see if there isn't even something fundamentally wrong somewhere else, like e.g. the DMA controller, etc.

Reply 2 of 8, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello.

The non-PnP GUS cards (especially those without the WSS-compatible codec) should be even easier for initialization. The original IRQ of the sound card was 11, but either 5 or 7 can be safely used if the LPT ports or any other ISA sound card isn't using these resources.

Example:

SET ULTRASND=240,6,6,5,7
SET ULTRADIR=C:\ULTRASND
ULTRINIT

ULTRASND has five values.

1. I/O address.
  2. Playback DMA.
  3. Recoding DMA.
  4. GUS IRQ.
  5. MIDI and/or SB emulation IRQ.

Using separate DMA values will only allow full-duplex and can work fine using the same DMA channel for both playback and recording. It is used by some programs to quickly transfer samples to the card and 16-bit DMA provides the best performance.

Lastly, try testing with software that properly takes advantage of the GUS hardware mixer such as Jazz Jackrabbit or demoscene stuff like Future Crew's Second Reality.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 8, by 32smooth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Mjay99: thanks for the hint, I'll give it a try. But I'd prefer to use the non pnp since I would like to restore the setup I had in the mid 90s.

I was able to find a bios update for the mainboard and flash it, and almost bricked it, 🤣. Then I found a version thats newer then the one that was installed and flash that one. But of course it didn't make any difference.
The non-max appears to run now, while the max ones always freeze the system as soon as ultrinit is executed, no matter what irq, dma or base adress i try.

@Gmbl256 so with the non-max at least I was able to enjoy Dope from Complex, ... what a blast, looks so much better on a real crt. That alone was worth it ^^
I installed Jazz Jackrabbit demo from the Gravis Cd, but it crashes on startup.

But thats just a start, what I really would love to play again is System Shock. I'll keep you posted.

Reply 4 of 8, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
32smooth wrote on 2023-01-22, 09:23:

The non-max version sortof works, the irq test passes but the dma tests fail, no matter what I try (I think this card works a bit better because of the lack of cdrom interfaces).

This is actually normal. I have a GUS Extreme (uses same chip as GUS classic) installed in a Pentium 133 system. It also fails the DMA test during setup, yet the card itself still works fine.

My recommendation is to re-install that card (by "non-max", I assume it's a GUS classic?), ignore the DMA tests during installation, and then test it out with actual games.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5 of 8, by 32smooth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Shponglefan I'm not sure if its a Classic. On the pcb it just says Ultrasound. I tried another game demo from the gus cd: whacky wheels, and it appears to work fine. I'm still a bit miffed that the maxes won't work, but it is what it is. Getting System Shock to run with that card appears to be another adventure since it relies on the Soundblaster emulation which doesn't work yet. But I wont give up, I asked in the System-Shock forum for help on this one 😀

Reply 6 of 8, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The GUS Classic refers to the original Gravis Ultrasound. If looks like the attached pic, then that is what you have.

Sound Blaster emulation on the GUS is iffy. It's best paired with another sound card for Sound Blaster compatibility.

For example, in my 486 DX2/66, I have the GUS classic paired with a Terratec Profimedia Gold (ESS ES1868F chip). This way I can get both native GUS support, plus Sound Blaster Pro compatibility with the Terratec card.

Attachments

• GUS Classic.jpg
    Filename
    GUS Classic.jpg
    File size
    481.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 8, by 32smooth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, thats looks like my one. I still have a SoundBlaster Pro 2 and enough free ISA slots 😀 so I may combine those. I don't mind which one plays the effects but I definitely want the GUS to play the music ...

Reply 8 of 8, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Combining them is the best thing. In most games, you would want the SBPro2 for digitized sound effects and the GUS for music.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS