VOGONS

First post, by Dusty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

RESOLVED: Unfortunately I have no idea what the issue was but it started working without me changing anything.

My sound only comes out of one speaker in Doom 2. If I disconnect the second speaker the sound starts coming out of the one with knobs but very quiet. Speakers work perfectly on my modern pc. I thought maybe it was a driver issue but since I downloaded and ran unisound.com it has worked so flawlessly out of the one speaker I don’t know anymore.

I honestly feel like this could be a dumb question with a quick fix but I can’t figure it out yet. I have google every version of my issue I can think of but cannot find a mention of this anywhere.

I did see someone post that with mono sound it defaults to the left speaker but I don’t know how to utilize that information.

Computer specs;
Compaq deskpro (I believe it is completely original from 1999)
Sound card is creative awe model ct4520
The speakers are Gateway2000 and on the back it has ‘ACS41’ (I’m not sure if that is a model number but it’s all I got to go on)
Cable I am using to connect the speakers to the pc is just a regular aux cord (not sure if there are different types or if having a higher quality cable might help but it works fine on my modern pc)

If there is any more system information needed just let me know!

Last edited by Dusty on 2023-01-30, 02:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you check the jack itself? Clean the inside and check for broken solder joint. And if your card have onboard amp, also check for jumpers.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 3 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AWE64 CT4520 have separate jacks for Speaker Out (black, amplified) and Line Out (green), so there isn't a jumper to toggle the amplifier.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 4, by Dusty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well now I am even more confused. Literally after trying everything I could think of with nothing having any effect I moved the pc back to my tower set up to deal with it another time. Launched Doom again later to test something else and sound is now in both speakers. Monster bash has sound working as well.

I didn’t change any variables. It just started working. I had restarted and changed autoexec and loaded drivers with no change. The only thing I can possibly think of is
dominusprog‘s suggestion of cleaning the port. I don’t know why a dirty port would make my main speaker not work when secondary speaker is plugged in and be super quiet when I unplug it. I did rotate the aux cord in the port before moving the computer which I guess could have scraped something loose.

Definitely confused but super happy it is working regardless. Thank you guys for replying back and trying to help. Sorry that this turned out to be a waste of time