VOGONS

First post, by fourier

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

Been a while since I was setting up my stuff and haven't used it for several years , and want some advice to have cleaner/convenient setup, since will be moving in 5 months to have bigger space, where I want to setup for old games.
I have:
- a Linux laptop, running usually DosBox or ScummVM
- usb-midi Roland UM-One
- Roland MT32 old
- Roland SC-55 MkII
- Behringer 502
- Sound splitter (2 sources in, 1 out, controlled by the key), don't remember a name.

Currently the connection looks like this:
Linux laptop -> roland um one -> mt32 -> (passthrough midi) -> sc-55
from roland mt32 and sc-55 output audio cables to sound splitter, and from it to the Behringer mixer
Audio from laptop to the mixer as well.
Finally from the mixer to headphones.

What I want to achieve: get rid of sound splitter, and to upgrade mixer to support more input channels. I want to get rid of the um-one as well and output midi to mt32 and sc-55 simultaneously, so I don't need to keep mt32 powered on if I want to play midi via sc-55. I want to get 1-2 more midi devices as well (probably sc88 pro to start with), so want to output to it as well.
Ideally I would like to use some external usb audio card to improve sound output quality; I want to get better cables from midi devices to mixer as well (but I have no clue how to search, how do they called).
I want to be able to switch between midi devices in realtime to compare the music/sound as well, via mixer.

What are the "recommended" mixers ? What are good usb-midi interfaces which could produce same output to like 4 devices? How do you guys setup your stuff ?

Thanks for this forum, its been an inspiration for me!

Reply 1 of 2, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For routing MIDI to multiple sources, I use a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru. It takes a single MIDI input and splits it into four separate outputs.

For audio mixing there are a lot of options. The Rolls MX42 Stereo Mini Mixer isn't bad if you want something compact. It has eight channels (4x stereo). It is unpowered which does mean there is no amplification applied to the audio.

I also recently acquired an Edirol (Roland) M-10MX 10 channel (5x stereo) mixer. It's compact and runs off batteries so might be a good solution for mixing a lot of sources in a compact package.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 2, by fourier

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, the Quadra Thru sounds like exactly what I need! The M-10MX sounds good as well.

Shponglefan wrote on 2023-01-30, 19:47:

For routing MIDI to multiple sources, I use a MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru. It takes a single MIDI input and splits it into four separate outputs.

For audio mixing there are a lot of options. The Rolls MX42 Stereo Mini Mixer isn't bad if you want something compact. It has eight channels (4x stereo). It is unpowered which does mean there is no amplification applied to the audio.

I also recently acquired an Edirol (Roland) M-10MX 10 channel (5x stereo) mixer. It's compact and runs off batteries so might be a good solution for mixing a lot of sources in a compact package.